Pistol Powder Temperature Sensitivity

Jeeper48

I apologize if this is a ignorant question but I wanted to asked before I proceed. Is temp sensitivity an issue with pistol powders and hunting for sub 50 yard shots? I would like to develop a couple of hunting loads for this upcoming season and didnt known if its something I should be concerned about. I know my limitations and would not take a shot past 50 yards so should I be concerned? I will likely develop the loads this fall, but hunting season in Iowa can get below 0 in December/January

Temp sensitivity can be a problem with many powders but at short distances they don't have much of a bearing on most pistol cartridges.

Pistols that shoot rifle cartridges at longer distances can have issues with temp sensitivity and effect the POI.

J E CUSTOM

Temp sensitivity changes velocity, the issue with this is at long range, normal ranges would not see the difference generally, so you should be good to go.

I will caution you that some powders are finicky in cold weather, those like H110/296 can be dangerous in cold weather due to squibs.
You need a tight crimp and hot primer with a max load.
I use the same ammo in both my revolver and carbine, 240gr Gold Dot SP and 24gr of 296. I got squibs @ -8C with these loads, in fact a few just clicked and fizzled, there was yellow unburned powder on those when I pulled the bullets.
My crimp was good on these, so I assume it was the cold weather causing the issue, even at 0C and 1C all shots fired with no problem.

Cheers.
:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.