Picked up a stray

jessej

I'm always lookin for a diamond in the rough. We will see with this one. No back story other than built by a smith in south La. And supposedly shoots 180 accubonds really great with 7828.
FEC3B744-82A5-40E9-BC8D-8C1858B4F52E.jpeg
53A0F960-8414-47F2-8C18-9512BEAFFE1A.jpeg

It was fitted with some kinda one piece direct mount topped with a NF shv. I recently acquired my first mk5 leupold and I thought this would be a good test specimen. Picked up a NF base and Hawkens heavy tactical rings and buttoned it all up this week.
Spent a little time in the lab last night, ran a patch down the barrel to determine it is a 1-10" and talked myself into pursuing a load with 220LRHT bergers. After a quick bit of measuring, discovered that with the 220s, coal is 3.950" touching the lands. Which puts these projos seated about right in the case. However, i want this rifle to be a repeater, and with the factory bdl set up, we gonna be seated comically deep and a lightyear away from touching. I own 2 other rifles that love long bergers in saami length at a few hundred thou off the lands, so I'll keep some hope for this one. Bore sighted, and constructed a test fleet using cci 250s, retumbo, Hornady brass. We shall see…….

Last edited:
It was fitted with some kinda one piece direct mount topped with a NF shv. I recently acquired my first mk5 leupold and I thought this would be a good test specimen. Picked up a NF base and Hawkens heavy tactical rings and buttoned it all up this week.
Spent a little time in the lab last night, ran a patch down the barrel to determine it is a 1-10" and talked myself into pursuing a load with 220LRHT bergers. After a quick bit of measuring, discovered that with the 220s, coal is 3.950" touching the lands. Which puts these projos seated about right in the case. However, i want this rifle to be a repeater, and with the factory bdl set up, we gonna be seated comically deep and a lightyear away from touching. I own 2 other rifles that love long bergers in saami length at a few hundred thou off the lands, so I'll keep some hope for this one. Bore sighted, and constructed a test fleet using cci 250s, retumbo, Hornady brass. We shall see…….
All you can do is seat them to fit and feed through the mag. Go shoot it. See what it does.

is that really how deep the 220s are seated to stay off the lands?
COAL length touching the lands is 3.950", To fit in mag, factory bdl, gotta be 3.650". I didn't expect it to shoot well that far off, but it surprised me. Nothing phenomenal, but decent. Ran a few from 88 up to 89 grains. 3.640" down to 3.600" coal.
3.600" shot the best. All pics are at 300 yard target.

On a side note, you could make a "poor man's" shoot and see target. We do it all the time for ladder testing. Green poster board, covered with clear packing tape, painted with cheap black rattle can paint. Bullets go through and the green stands out well in the black. Just a thought.
Rifle looks good, by the way.