picked up a 300 wsm yesterday

lloydsmale

gun shop owed me some extra money on a trade so i took home an abolt hunter in 300 wsm. Ive never been a fan of the short mags but had to ask myself why? Im allways one that kind of prides myself on posting what i know about and not what i think i know about and found myself bashing the short mags or saying there an answer to a question not asked.

So when the snow goes this summer ill find out the truth. Ive got a 300 win, 300 wby, and a new 300 ultra. Ill shoot them all over the chronograph and find out the real truth. Maybe ill even throw an o6 into the equation. My thoughts are to eliminate the 150s on the light end and the 200s on the heavy to give them all a fair crack.

Ill also add ive never been a big fan of browing bolts and cant explain why but ive never owned one so this will help educate me a bit on this too. Got to say that if it even runs close to a 300 win it should be a handy gun as it probably weights 2lbs less then any of my other 300s and is no heavier then my 06s.

I know theres about no way to make a wrote in stone determination here. To much relys on the loads used in each gun but i will try to keep it as fair as possible. Re17 seems to be the powder that shows the most promise for velocity in it and ive got a keg on the shelf.

I think you'll have some fun with your a-bolt in 300 wsm. My Pops has one of the savage strikers in 300 wsm he's using 4350 and 165's in. rl17 should be good too.
As far as the browning, I've got one in 300 win(long) and it's my favorite rifle to field. It shoots well enough in the field I have to leave it home to get kills on other rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.