New rifle build picked up ...

Nice Ed!!!
Does it have a long freebore?
All I can think about when I see the data, is 230 grain Berger!!!:D

I did not coin the .30 Lara but when I queried Dave Manson about the reamer he sent the blueprint to me with that cartridge name and left it as-is. :D

I hope to gain more velocity than 30 FPS max with 30. to 3.5 grains esp with 1:9" twist.

Cheers!

3 to 3.5 grains of capacity doesn't translate into 3 to 3.5grs of additional powder. Most of the time the loads only vary about 1 to 1.5grs between all the variations. If you look at the capacity of a 300wm compared to a 30-8mm there is about 8grs of difference between the two. The velocity difference between the 2 with heavy bullets is typically 100-150fps with equal barrel lengths. As you go up in capacity, in the same bore size, the fps per grain of capacity goes down. So if you break that down the 3 grains of capacity is worth about 50fps on the high end. Where they liked to shoot for me was about 30fps difference like I said. The gain per grain of capacity gets worse when you go up to a 300RUM or 30-378 from a 30-8mm or similar cases.

Ed, that looks like a keeper. If you are shooting that good with a "questionable" stock I think you are doing OK :). Is she going to make it to the field this year?gun).

3 to 3.5 grains of capacity doesn't translate into 3 to 3.5grs of additional powder. Most of the time the loads only vary about 1 to 1.5grs between all the variations. If you look at the capacity of a 300wm compared to a 30-8mm there is about 8grs of difference between the two. The velocity difference between the 2 with heavy bullets is typically 100-150fps with equal barrel lengths. As you go up in capacity, in the same bore size, the fps per grain of capacity goes down. So if you break that down the 3 grains of capacity is worth about 50fps on the high end. Where they liked to shoot for me was about 30fps difference like I said. The gain per grain of capacity gets worse when you go up to a 300RUM or 30-378 from a 30-8mm or similar cases.

Gotcha, you were referring to total H20 cartridge gain capacity not actual load increase. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.