Peterson Brass Article - New Caliber Development

I really don't care what they call it or the alloy content as long as it works well. I hear they are doing a 280ai run. I need another 100 just to be on the safe side.
They made a run (280AI) in about Oct of last year. I got 500 in about Dec 2021. Gee they didn't build a 6mm/280AI case for me. O dear. I was dam glad to get the 280AI cases.
As far as complaining about why the build which case is their determination, not ours. I have in the pass ask about when they were going to make a run of that case of whatever it maybe. They responded to me and I was thankful for that. I had gotten some smaller lots of cases. I now look at getting 500 at a time in whatever chamber size I am working with.
Like everybody else I want what I want, and the hell with everybody else, but that not the way it works. For me if it's a belted mag case. I resize and fire form then like wise on case that are used in 30/06 and down that fit the basic chamber. I generally size down not up, but I have done it both ways. I have case in a great many different sizes or shapes.
They build what they build. If they don't build what you are looking for then go somewhere else.
Like they say: Wish in one hand and or Pu in the other. See which one gets fuller faster.
I don't have any interest in them either. I am just glad they are around.

What I don't see is anything on Primers. I wonder where and the hell they are at. You see a little but not like is should be. I see some, but the prices are out of line, and not what I want. So I watch, and surf the net everyday.

CEO's, owner's, engineers, bean counters all run companies and well, they may not be experts in firearms. But to be successful they are good at what they do, running the company. I haven't used any Peterson brass yet, but after reading the reviews I sure want to.

CEO's, owner's, engineers, bean counters all run companies and well, they may not be experts in firearms. But to be successful they are good at what they do, running the company. I haven't used any Peterson brass yet, but after reading the reviews I sure want to.
Incredibly it is often the marketing/communications people who misspeak the most.
We all know that a cartridge is the assembled unit consisting of case, primer, powder, and bullet components.
Sometimes the lips move in spite of what the brain knows.

Incredibly it is often the marketing/communications people who misspeak the most.
We all know that a cartridge is the assembled unit consisting of case, primer, powder, and bullet components.
Sometimes the lips move in spite of what the brain knows.
Thank God that I'VE never said anything dumb/regertful on the interwebs 😂😅🙄

CEO's, owner's, engineers, bean counters all run companies
You give the CEOs and engineers too much credit thinking they listen to the accountants. If I had my way trucks would be built to last forever and Remington wouldn't mass produce crappy rifles, but then the marketing people would get their panties in a twist that people would stop buying new shiny things. Bean counters understand value, I have never once in my career ever come across one that ever made the decision to save a penny to cost a buck down the road.

Engineers don't listen to us either, they think they're super-special smart (they are super-special, I'll give them that) and when I say things like "hey, maybe the oil filter shouldn't drain directly on to the steering rack when it's unscrewed cause it'll make oil splash everywhere" they scoff and tell me to go back to my calculator and leave the enginmahneering to the expurts that make decisions based on ease of assembly and not repair/ service. This accountant wouldn't ever be dumb enough to put a composite oil pan under an engine that can't be replaced without removing the engine mount, just saying. If the engineers got dirty and twisted some wrenches on occasion maybe they wouldn't build things that look like they're intentionally screwing over the shop guys.

You give the CEOs and engineers too much credit thinking they listen to the accountants. If I had my way trucks would be built to last forever and Remington wouldn't mass produce crappy rifles, but then the marketing people would get their panties in a twist that people would stop buying new shiny things. Bean counters understand value, I have never once in my career ever come across one that ever made the decision to save a penny to cost a buck down the road.

Engineers don't listen to us either, they think they're super-special smart (they are super-special, I'll give them that) and when I say things like "hey, maybe the oil filter shouldn't drain directly on to the steering rack when it's unscrewed cause it'll make oil splash everywhere" they scoff and tell me to go back to my calculator and leave the enginmahneering to the expurts that make decisions based on ease of assembly and not repair/ service. This accountant wouldn't ever be dumb enough to put a composite oil pan under an engine that can't be replaced without removing the engine mount, just saying. If the engineers got dirty and twisted some wrenches on occasion maybe they wouldn't build things that look like they're intentionally screwing over the shop guys.
Does Peterson make good brass?

I have worked with engineers over the years in a specially trade or application. I am a carpenter by trade. I installed of overseen installation of operable walls. Which at one time there was about 16 or men in S. California that installed them that I feel were really good at it. I had been called in on several jobs, because the engineer couldn't figure how to attach the track to something. They hadn't invented sky-hooks yet. I had one College Instructor with a PHD in engineering told me you can't operate those walls. The head of the college was there at the same time. I told him I could with my little finger. I did it. I also told the PHD, that I only had a Straight "D" average diploma at the time I finish high school, and could do it, why can't he. The head of the college had to turn his head and laughed. The other it went right over his head.
Now I have seen engineers that have worked up through the trades and are engineers now. Others that only have book learning. So it combination of tradesmen, engineers, and bean counters that put it together. There only a few that can do it all. My hats off to all that run a business, and make it succeed.
Yes I believe that Peterson make good brass!

I have worked with engineers over the years in a specially trade or application. I am a carpenter by trade. I installed of overseen installation of operable walls. Which at one time there was about 16 or men in S. California that installed them that I feel were really good at it. I had been called in on several jobs, because the engineer couldn't figure how to attach the track to something. They hadn't invented sky-hooks yet. I had one College Instructor with a PHD in engineering told me you can't operate those walls. The head of the college was there at the same time. I told him I could with my little finger. I did it. I also told the PHD, that I only had a Straight "D" average diploma at the time I finish high school, and could do it, why can't he. The head of the college had to turn his head and laughed. The other it went right over his head.
Now I have seen engineers that have worked up through the trades and are engineers now. Others that only have book learning. So it combination of tradesmen, engineers, and bean counters that put it together. There only a few that can do it all. My hats off to all that run a business, and make it succeed.
Yes I believe that Peterson make good brass!
Common sense is a rare commodity anymore.

CEO's, owner's, engineers, bean counters all run companies and well, they may not be experts in firearms.
That's what was said in my post. Like I said CEO's, owner's, and bean counters do what they do well. If they didn't then they might not be in business long. And they might not be experts in fields like firearms. It would be nice if they were, but for me the main thing is the product. If they wrote great articles but put out a poor product that does me no good. In a perfect world they'd write a great article, be experts in that field, and put out top quality products. I'll settle for a great product and a poorly worded article.

At lease they try to keep you informed. Did you know that the 500 companies in the 50's & 60's are gone now. If you don't move forward all the time, you are out. A lot of these companies get so top heavy they can't move, or they become post turtles that can't move anywhere. So why worry about that they are doing, except to watch what they are doing, and maybe learn something from them. To me on the outside looking in, they have built a good business, and people are purchasing their brass. Otherwise they would be gone. Now I have Petersons and Lapua brass. I also have Win, Rem, PMC, Nosler, Hornady, and a few others brass. I still get the other type of brass, but for a rainy day. I don't use them anymore, but still acquired them if they are free.

I understand completely why they would not disclose the alloy they use. Their brass is very good, not just dimensionally.
I haven't had the time to check out the dimensionally. I do know in the 500 280AI cases that the COAL was off between 50 cases that I did measure by .0065" between long and short. The reason for that is I cut the necks for thickness, and have to have the same or should have the same stopping point on the brass for concentricity. My thinking is fireforming would take care of the rest. Now volume case weight I haven't gotten that far yet. I figured that I would need to fireform them first, then measure for volume weight.

Recent Posts