Performance of 6.5 SS and 140gr Cutting Edge bullets.

Would love to have ya try 61 to 61.5 of H1000 in that with the 140 !
Most definitely....Me too!

Also, so BNG & Rich.....When are yall gonna get Lapua to start supplying brass for this and the 6.5 SS and the 6.5 Sherman? You know Kevin Thomas of Lapua is on here...He might could get us some non-formed Lapua brass stamped with 6.5 SS or 6.5 Sherman on the head for us to form ourselves. Or maybe he could talk Lapua into making a couple batches of brass for us on here...

He's a really cool dude. I've talked with him several times in the past. Very knowledgeable..

Would love to have ya try 61 to 61.5 of H1000 in that with the 140 !

Running it in my 6.5 saum and it is incredible

Got some 130 CE bullets to test myself

Most definitely....Me too!

Also, so BNG & Rich.....When are yall gonna get Lapua to start supplying brass for this and the 6.5 SS and the 6.5 Sherman? You know Kevin Thomas of Lapua is on here...He might could get us some non-formed Lapua brass stamped with 6.5 SS or 6.5 Sherman on the head for us to form ourselves. Or maybe he could talk Lapua into making a couple batches of brass for us on here...

He's a really cool dude. I've talked with him several times in the past. Very knowledgeable..

Sendero Man, big fan of what you guys are doing with the 6.5 SAUM! Next time I load I'll run that load under some 140 Bergers.

Mud, I think if I e-mail Kevin one more time for Lapua SAUM brass I'll end up with a restraining order, I hope Lapua will crank out some 7 SAUM some day!!

The 6.5 Sherman with 270 Win Norma brass is excellent and easily formed, the 6.5 SS is more involved and I know Rich has looked into having brass made but it's a significant out lay, we'll see how it goes :cool:

Mud, I think if I e-mail Kevin one more time for Lapua SAUM brass I'll end up with a restraining order, I hope Lapua will crank out some 7 SAUM some day!!

Rhian, I saw Nosler Brass in 7 SAUM adverised on Midway. "Back Order OK", expected in, in Jan 2014.

I've never used any Nosler brass and have read mixed reviews on it. Some say it's on the soft side. I've also heard that Norma makes ti for Nosler and I am very happy with my Norma Brass. Being a little soft would be good for the Sherman short case forming I would think, as long as it isn't too soft.

Rhian, I saw Nosler Brass in 7 SAUM adverised on Midway. "Back Order OK", expected in, in Jan 2014.

I've never used any Nosler brass and have read mixed reviews on it. Some say it's on the soft side. I've also heard that Norma makes ti for Nosler and I am very happy with my Norma Brass. Being a little soft would be good for the Sherman short case forming I would think, as long as it isn't too soft.

I have not used Nosler, Rem SAUM forms real easy but the primer pockets loosen though it's taken me 10 firings and they still hold a primer just not like new. Norma SAUM brass is very good in the primer pocket area and is softer than Rem but that makes forming just a little more difficult but I think we've got that ironed out. So far the Norma brass is looking very good, just changing to the Norma cut the groups so I'm waiting for a Sinclair expanding mandrel to help on the necks on the Norma.

I'm going to have to beat those GAP guys to the SAUM brass :D

I have not used Nosler, Rem SAUM forms real easy but the primer pockets loosen though it's taken me 10 firings and they still hold a primer just not like new. Norma SAUM brass is very good in the primer pocket area and is softer than Rem but that makes forming just a little more difficult but I think we've got that ironed out. So far the Norma brass is looking very good, just changing to the Norma cut the groups so I'm waiting for a Sinclair expanding mandrel to help on the necks on the Norma.

Thinking on that. Copper Creek is offering Norma 6.5SAUM brass right now....

Just sayin':cool:

t

t

Ya, I've been following the 6.5 4S :D

I forgot to mention a very important thing that I'm really liking about the Cutting Edge bullets, the lack of copper fouling!! I've removed enough Barnes bullets from my barrels that the thought of loading a copper bullet almost makes me sick but the Cutting Edge bullets are a very nice bullet to load, I ran out 50 and had no copper in my barrel which makes me happy, happy, happy!!

I forgot to mention a very important thing that I'm really liking about the Cutting Edge bullets, the lack of copper fouling!! I've removed enough Barnes bullets from my barrels that the thought of loading a copper bullet almost makes me sick but the Cutting Edge bullets are a very nice bullet to load, I ran out 50 and had no copper in my barrel which makes me happy, happy, happy!!

That's actually a very good point. I hadn't thought to bring it up. I can't recall any copper coming out of my WSM...

t

I use Nosler brass for my 7mm STW and it's great! I would put it up there with Lapua...But with the slight advantage going to Lapua. I use their .308 Win brass...Incredible stuff!

What you heard is correct...Nosler brass is manufactured by Norma, but headstamped Nosler. Which is why I have no issues using it.

Also, Hornady Match brass has been really good to me, too. People scoff @ Hornady because they sell less-expensive ammo, but the Match qulity brass and ammo has always shot great for me.

The 6.5 Sherman with 270 Win Norma brass is excellent and easily formed, the 6.5 SS is more involved and I know Rich has looked into having brass made but it's a significant out lay, we'll see how it goes :cool:
Man, I sure wish they'd make a quick run of 6.5 SS brass...

Do yall know if RCBS can make dies for it? Or is it still a completely custom die thing?

I use Nosler brass for my 7mm STW and it's great! I would put it up there with Lapua...But with the slight advantage going to Lapua. I use their .308 Win brass...Incredible stuff!

What you heard is correct...Nosler brass is manufactured by Norma, but headstamped Nosler. Which is why I have no issues using it.

Also, Hornady Match brass has been really good to me, too. People scoff @ Hornady because they sell less-expensive ammo, but the Match qulity brass and ammo has always shot great for me.

I have read mixed reviews on Hornady brass over the years but recently they are mostly good. My 300 Dakota bras is made by Hornady and so far I am very impressed with it. It's not as good as Lapua,but it's good stuff.

t

I'm guessing that's ammo and not just brass?

That's actually a very good point. I hadn't thought to bring it up. I can't recall any copper coming out of my WSM...

t

Interesting, The CEB's did foul in my Sendero 300 RUM. I don't think any more than any other bullet, but they did foul. But that Sendero was definitely a fouler. Should be interesting to see how the CEB's do in nitrided Broughton barrels.

I am planning on turning my Sako 300 WSM into a 6mm SAUM. That Nosler 7 SAUM brass is looking go to me for that.

Man, I sure wish they'd make a quick run of 6.5 SS brass...

Do yall know if RCBS can make dies for it? Or is it still a completely custom die thing?

RCBS does not make 6.5 SAUM as far as I know. I'm sure The GAP guys could point you in the right direction. Whidden probably has some reamers for that as well. Just want to make sure you match your dies to your chamber reamer.

Whidden has a reamer set for the 6.5 SS which means it's not a full on custom job each time he makes a die set, better price and better turn around!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts