PDQ Ambi Bolt Catch

My question is why do people still buy junky old style uppers with forward assist and dust covers?

I quit buying them many many years ago. The forward assist will not help you in a jam.

These a nice forgings from Anderson and now about 75 bucks
NO Forward Assist.jpg

My question is why do people still buy junky old style uppers with forward assist and dust covers?

I quit buying them many many years ago. The forward assist will not help you in a jam.

These a nice forgings from Anderson and now about 75 bucks
View attachment 363409
I'm pretty sure Kyle would argue your apparent forward assist belief. Luckily we have options

I've used mine and it's there when I need it!
My experience has been: When the bolt doesn't fully close something was wrong with the case/bullet. Pounding on the FA generally made it worse and it took a rod down the barrel to clear or wedge a screw driver between the ejection port and the bolt to pop it out. You are better off pushing the mag release and dropping the clip then grabbing the charging and ejecting before it's really wedged in there.

We had days in the military shooting 1000's of rounds being evaluated as a team on knock down targets, bullets got dropped loading clips. Clips got dropped on the ground in what ever environment we were in. I even had the little clip come off the door and I didn't have a way to fix it in the field and had to tear the door assembly off. I had a forward assist push button pop apart and had to monkey with it to repair later. The first time I saw the slick sided unit I thought what a great idea.

I have all extended take down pins, charging handles, buttons...

If I was having Amby problems like the poster I would just get rid of the door! :)

Last edited:
My experience has been: When the bolt doesn't fully close something was wrong with the case/bullet. Pounding on the FA generally made it worse and it took a rod down the barrel to clear or wedge a screw driver between the ejection port and the bolt to pop it out. You are better off pushing the mag release and dropping the clip then grabbing the charging and ejecting before it's really wedged in there.

We had days in the military shooting 1000's of rounds being evaluated as a team on knock down targets, bullets got dropped loading clips. Clips got dropped on the ground in what ever environment we were in. I even had the little clip come off the door and I didn't have a way to fix it in the field and had to tear it off. I had a forward assist push button pop apart and had to monkey with it to repair later. The first time I saw the slick sided unit I thought what a great idea.

I have all extended take down pins, charging handles, buttons...

If I was having Amby problems like the poster I would just get rid of the door! :)
If you throw away the issue/problem, then you'll never know how to overcome issues/problem if it occurs. In the heat of the moment like you did it was and easy solution! Do what y'u gotta do to gett'r dun!

I do have some no-fa and some without deflectors, so well rounded. Next, I'll buy or manufacture a gun without any safeties (drop, hammer and/or trigger shoe type). Follow the gun safety rules and no need for any. Agreed on pounding on the FA might not solve the issue and that it could make more. Where I used the FA on was when the mag was full (new and very tight) that when charging the bolt liked a hair closing and just needed a nudge. The FA was close and easy to use with the press of the thumb.

The PDQ is very different than the other manufactures.

That cutting of the lower makes me cringe. If you are doing a retrofit, I think Tacticallink and Magpul offer better zero modification solutions. This why I buy ambi lowers from the factory, especially from a reliability standpoint.

Forward assist I could go either way on, but even my beater coyote AR gets a dust cover. Too much junk and debris trying to get into ALL my gear when I am out in the woods and desert.

Last edited:
The PDQ is very different than the other manufactures.

I've used all, but the battle bar. Phase5 works best and don't need to worry about losing the screw like from BAD or magpul levers can have.

Decided I did not want one of those. Tried a buddies with the Mag Pul and just did not like it. I did not see much information on possible issues with the PDQ, until I started digging for answers. Cutting a little aluminum out of the lower to me is nothing as it is just for form and fitting parts into. See lots of odd ball cut up, lightened etc. lowers. Main reason I posted was I do not want to keep driving the pin in and out as I work through solutions, and was looking for what others may have done to solve the problems I am having.

Anyone have a place where I can buy springs, pins, tiny parts without a full "kit" bag? I'll figure something out to make the PDQ work.

Decided I did not want one of those. Tried a buddies with the Mag Pul and just did not like it. I did not see much information on possible issues with the PDQ, until I started digging for answers. Cutting a little aluminum out of the lower to me is nothing as it is just for form and fitting parts into. See lots of odd ball cut up, lightened etc. lowers. Main reason I posted was I do not want to keep driving the pin in and out as I work through solutions, and was looking for what others may have done to solve the problems I am having.

Anyone have a place where I can buy springs, pins, tiny parts without a full "kit" bag? I'll figure something out to make the PDQ work.

Damage industries sell small parts individually. Might be worth checking out.

https://damageindustriesllc.com/store/index.php?route=product/category&path=62

I found a tiny punch pin set that was the same dia. as the roll pin. But before that I used a small finishing nail that i just clipped off to the length I needed.

Recent Posts