Melonite treated bolts / bolt carriers

redneckclimbing

Has anyone had their bolt / carrier "melonited" (if that is the right term). I was reading about this in the barrels, bullets, etc. forum. Some guys were talking about doing it with their 700's etc., receivers and bolts.

I haven't done this to anything myself yet. However, with what I gathered it doesn't add anything to the overall dimensions of the piece. It takes the hardness of any carbon steel (I believe) up to somewhere above 70 Rockwell, and makes it virtually impervious to corrosion, while improving lubricity.

Those all sound like pretty good attributes for an AR bolt and carrier to me. What do some of you AR builders out there think? Has anyone actually tried this and how did it work?

Thanks

You are correct on the metal hardness.

Purchased an AR barrel that has had this applied, but have not shot it yet.

Hopefully others will chime in with their experience with melonite.

Visited with "Adam" at H&M Metal Processing while I was at the NRA convention this spring.
Talked extensively about their process which I understand is slightly different and improved over Melonie (but don't take my word for it, I'm not a chemist or engineer)

H&M Metal Processing said:
BLACKNITRIDE™, or Ferritic Nitrocarburizing, is the thermochemical that simultaneously diffuses nitrogen and carbon into the surface of ferrous metals.

I was quoted $200 for a minimum fee, but that they could do multiple parts for that price. 4-5 bolts or a couple bolts and a barrel, or a few other AR parts.
I assume the set up costs the money and the tank size is the only restriction.

If you were to do a few parts...it would be VERY worth it. I'm planning to do ALL of my BCGs and all my muzzle breaks and suppressor mounts.
The lubricity of the metal after black nitride is suppose to be such that carbon won't stick to it. That's a big deal when running a suppressor.

H&M Metal Processing

I really don't see how this is worth the money guys? This article from a very well know trainer represents the real facts about the ar and its performance. I am in no way saying that what you guys are discussing is not an improvement, I just have to wonder will you ever shoot this many rounds?

S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE – FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog

Thanks for the link. I own an AR15, don't shoot it much and don't know much about them, but I think I'll buy some of the lube referenced in this article.

"Third is the fact that we used Slip 2000 EWL which, based on past evaluations, keeps guns running long after other lubes have rolled craps."

Thanks for the input guys, the H&M Metal processing is exactly what I was refering to. (I know I said "melonite" but I couldn't remember nitrocarberwhoozit off the top of my head.):D

I think that you are right in saying that for basically everyone it's not necessary. I have talked to multiple guys that put there guns through some torture tests while "working" in the sand box. And all of them have said that the design the way it is, is completely adequate.

However, my personal thoughts have always been, if you're going to build something build it to the absolute limit! (That doesn't mean put a bunch of fancy gizmos on it.) gun)

Anyone esle have any input?

For a standard AR, I don't really see the need...but I can tell you that running suppressed is not the same.
I've had my bolt and trigger group get so sticky with carbon that its noticeably more difficult to chamber a round and my trigger pull has virtually doubled.

I've used two different kinds of CLP on the bolt and trigger group and it helps A LOT, but for $50 or less (to do 4 different bolts and numerous QD suppressor mounts) I believe it would be worth it for me.

I'm sure there are threads here on LRH that have debated the effectiveness of Meloniting or salt bath nitriding gun components. I'm surprised this one has been around awhile and no one else has posted the link to an older thread.

I followed a similar one one snipershide that went on and on for sometime with shooters chiming in on increased velocities and barrel life after treating their barrels and actions. It seems to be a polarizing topic, some very respected gunsmiths recommend the treatment and others (like the one I most recently bought a custom rifle from) will cite studies and statistics that counter the idea. My gunsmith quoted a massive study that our military (not sure what branch) undertook to study the effectiveness of meloniting for service weapons. After many years they concluded that it wasn't something that the military would benefit from.

On the other hand its hard to argue with all of the shooters who are posting their increased chronograph speeds and almost doubling the amount of rounds they put down their barrels before burning out the throats.

I know that the thread on Snipershide really focused on the process that was being done by MMI Trutec. I tried to find the youtube videos that documented the entire process, I remember watching them a couple years ago but now I can't find them. Its a really interesting process.

For a standard AR, I don't really see the need...but I can tell you that running suppressed is not the same.
I've had my bolt and trigger group get so sticky with carbon that its noticeably more difficult to chamber a round and my trigger pull has virtually doubled.

I've used two different kinds of CLP on the bolt and trigger group and it helps A LOT, but for $50 or less (to do 4 different bolts and numerous QD suppressor mounts) I believe it would be worth it for me.

Suppressed is the only time I would advocate anyone spending their money on a good piston rifle like the HK 416 or a conversion for their MRP.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.