Paying for load Development

For me, nothing. That is what I enjoy about reloading. Often times once I get done with load development, the rifle gets stuck in the back of the safe or sold to buy something else to start the process over. Lol
^^^ This! Except for the stuck in the back of the safe part. Get the load dialed in, shoot the barrel out (chasing the lands all the way), re-barrel, start again! :)

Last edited:
For me, nothing. That is what I enjoy about reloading. Often times once I get done with load development, the rifle gets stuck in the back of the safe or sold to buy something else to start the process over. Lol
I know what you mean, that's where the fun of it is. I've had a few friends hint around at getting a load worked up for them and it got me thinking 😁

I know what you mean, that's where the fun of it is. I've had a few friends hint around at getting a load worked up for them and it got me thinking 😁
Are you thinking of doing this and charging them? If so, think hard about all the things that could go wrong. Remembering their issues are now your issues.
I entertained this idea myself, I can supply a list of cons if you need one.

I recently paid for a load development. I am a reloader but more of a "follow the recipe" type reloader, skill wise. I admit it. I also don't have the time, range facilities, or expertise to do it myself so I sent my rifle to Steve Davis who is the owner of Hammer Bullets. 3 weeks later he sent me back my rifle and 200 loaded rounds and it costs me right around $1,000 bucks.

My rifle is a 7mmRemMag. It shoots his 155gr Hammer Hunters into a cloverleaf at 200 yards with a MV of 3,260fps.

I GUESS that if I had the time, range facilities and patience I could have developed a good load myself but I don't think that it would have been as perfect as what Steve wound up with because it is a maximum load that is also deadly accurate. I don't know enough to play with pressure signs, seating depth, and charges to the degree that a guy like Steve or some of you guys here can, so I was happy to pay for that expertise and know that I have the best load possible for my rifle.

Sorry OP, I diverged from your question a bit...my answer is $1,000 for the reasons stated;)

I recently paid for a load development. I am a reloader but more of a "follow the recipe" type reloader, skill wise. I admit it. I also don't have the time, range facilities, or expertise to do it myself so I sent my rifle to Steve Davis who is the owner of Hammer Bullets. 3 weeks later he sent me back my rifle and 200 loaded rounds and it costs me right around $1,000 bucks.

My rifle is a 7mmRemMag. It shoots his 155gr Hammer Hunters into a cloverleaf at 200 yards with a MV of 3,260fps.

I GUESS that if I had the time, range facilities and patience I could have developed a good load myself but I don't think that it would have been as perfect as what Steve wound up with because it is a maximum load that is also deadly accurate. I don't know enough to play with pressure signs, seating depth, and charges to the degree that a guy like Steve or some of you guys here can, so I was happy to pay for that expertise and know that I have the best load possible for my rifle.

Sorry OP, I diverged from your question a bit...my answer is $1,000 for the reasons stated;)
I want to interject something here, you also bought ammo. That requires an FFL and most likely insurance on the providers end.
Producing ammo and doing load dev for someone to follow are 2 separate entities. I am pretty sure had you not taken 200 loaded rds, your bill would have been considerably less.

Yep...have to agree Ingwe.....if you don't have the time and range facility..could cost a lot more than $1000 total by the time you get bullets..powder..and brass...and start sending down range....
But that's out of my budget.....

Yep...have to agree Ingwe.....if you don't have the time and range facility..could cost a lot more than $1000 total by the time you get bullets..powder..and brass...and start sending down range....
But that's out of my budget.....
He is still going to have to own the bullets, powder, and brass, unless he is buying loaded ammo.

And right here lies one big issue with doing load dev for friends, are they willing to buy enough of the same components to toast a barrel?
Because if they are not, every powder and bullet lot change, they are back on the OP's doorstep asking for more help.

Just figure what custom ammo makers charge per box and you will have a price per round. So if a box is of 20 is $50 that's 2.50 a round. There is a start what ever that number is. Or figure price of components, and add a 100% mark up for your time and work. So per $100 of components = a $200 charge.

Depends if it's make the recipe or make the recipe and ammo deal.
I do this for a few friends I don't charge anything and usually I end up with a bottle of whiskey or extra reloading components to use.
a big downside is a rifle that won't shoot.
I would clock my time during load development and charge accordingly. Ammo I would also clock and compare to premium loaded ammo

Are you thinking of doing this and charging them? If so, think hard about all the things that could go wrong. Remembering their issues are now your issues.
I entertained this idea myself, I can supply a list of cons if you need one.
This is spot on and I'm pretty sure you have to have an FFL to do that for starters, legally of course. I have helped a friend do load development for his rifle and he just paid me back the actual cost of components that he used.

What I would consider doing for actual pay (profit) is taking the rifle from the friend and doing the full load development FOR him, and then giving him his rifle back with the load recipe that he can then take and use to make his own ammo. Price is hard to say ... if it's a good friend, you enjoy the process, and you have the time then do it for the cost of components plus a case of beer and call it good. If it's more like a friendly acquaintance then $100 plus components for what I described seems plenty fair.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.