Pawn Shop STW

edg1966

This was supposed to be a good deal that I found at a pawn shop. A Remington 700 BDL SS DM-B in 7mm STW. From the information I could find they were only manufactured in 1997 so I thought I would pick it up and try to flip it or use it a trading stock at a gun show this winter. Well, one thing led to another and I got a little carried away…dumped the tupperware stock and put on a Bell & Carlson, took of the Bushnell Elite and added a Kahles scope with a DNZ ring/base combo. I ordered some Nosler Custom 175 Accubonds and took it to the range yesterday and this is what it did at 100 yards with factory ammo. It opened it up a little more than I'd like at 200, but I'm hoping that with some hand loads I'll be able to get it tightened up a bit. I'm thinking it is showing some potential so I'll probably end up keeping it. It will be going with a buddy to CO to hunt Pinon Canyon in Oct. and northern NM in Dec. so we'll see if it can kill anything.

Attachments

• IMG_1265.JPG
    IMG_1265.JPG
    13.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1271.JPG
    IMG_1271.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 22
Oh yeah....She's got potential. Try some 180 Berger Hybrids stuffed with 68-72gr (work up the load, of course) of IMR 7828 SSC with Federal 215M primers in that fire-formed Nosler brass you just shot.

Base-to-ogive length near the lands, but not touching.

My 100% factory Sendero SF (other than a trigger job), will put 5 inside a dime with that load and 71gr of 7828 SSC with a MV of right at 3,000 fps.

Being yours is a 97 model, it either has the 1:9 or 1:9.25" twist. Both will handle the 180 Bergers just fine.

my Pops has one of the dbm b stw's with the factory stock and a burris on top. I've seen him do some awesome work with it. He's killed more deer with that rifle than any rifle I own, including my 300win (that rifle has about 20 deer on it). Running shots past 1/4 mile are a breeze with the dbm, and if I could get him to toss a bit heavier bullet I'm sure it would be a great lr rig for offhand shooting.

Something in the 140-180 grain range with rl22, rl25, rl33, retumbo, or the like (maybe a 50cal offering for 168+ weight bullets) and a good mag. primer and you should be set.

I ain't never seen a 7-STW that didn't shoot. It would appear that yours is no exception. Hard to form solid impressions based on three round group but I'm confident you will not be disappointed in its performance with some good hand loads. gun)

Good find my friend. I've had the exact same rifle since I bought it new in probably 97.

The 140-162gr bullets are probably where you'll find your best accuracy with it and yes, it will kill a whole lot of game if you give it a chance.

I'll warn you, this was my first STW. If you do not keep the gun cabinet locked others will find their way to join it and keep it company.:D

I'll see if I can did up my thread about the Bobcat I killed with mine and add a link to it.

EDTA:

Here it is.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/longest-bobcat-ever-76861/

This is still one of my all time favorite field shots.
2253d1314221184-longest-bobcat-ever-stwbcataug11.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 1/9.25 twist. It definately prefers 168 bergers instead of 180's.

I'll hold 3/4 MOA with 180's. but I will put the 168's through the same hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.