Passing on reloading skills

I'm hoping my girls want to shoot and hunt which hopefully leads to reloading.

I've helped a buddy get started with reloading. He bought a 300 WM and I told him he should start reloading for it. He didn't have any stuff so I said to come over and he can use mine and I'll show him how. I even donated primers to the cause.

Another buddy of mine got a 28 Nosler after I suggested it. I'm sure he knew basics on reloading but I had to let him use my stuff and I helped him get going for that rifle. I even just bought him a press so he could get his own setup going.

IMG_4665.jpeg

I have taught several over the years. I met a young woman at the range quite a few years ago who really wanted to learn. She came to my shop and saw that I also had a lathe and mill and wanted to learn how to build her own rifle . She now has her own lathe , loads her own ammo ,shoots ELR with a 33XC she built and has spent seven years going to the NRA school at Trinidad. Some people are just really dedicated and when you are lucky enough to meet one it makes watching them learn a great experience

I am very proud to say that I have personally mentored no fewer than 8 people in the last 5 or six years. Truth of the matter is that I am into it so much, that to feed the addiction, if I am not teaching someone and living vicariously through them in their learning curve, I am out spending my own money and time on my own experiments. I am also proud to say that some of the guys that I've taught have actually returned the favor and are active contributors on the feedback loop. It's awesome. Most of the guys have also gotten bit by the rifle building bug and are now battling the symptoms of that.
Some of the guys were local, but more than one of them was not and we taught over zoom, and facetime and all kinds of other mediums.
Being new to reloading. I have never given Zoom, Facetime, etc a thought when needing help. Thanks for the idea. It may be another valuable tool I better learn.

Being new to reloading. I have never given Zoom, Facetime, etc a thought when needing help. Thanks for the idea. It may be another valuable tool I better learn.
Since you are new to reloading, I would gladly help you through any issues/questions you have. PM me if interested and I'll give you my contact info. No strings attached, just love the hobby and love to see people succeed.

Before we can pass on our skills, we'd better pass on the idea....until all the components are spilling off the shelves and onto the store floor! That's all we need right now.....is to entice 7,000,000 new shooters to reload!!!!!! ( excluding immediate family that is) 🤣

Last edited:
Before we can pass on our skills, we'd better pass on the idea....until all the components are spilling off the shelves and onto the store floor! That's all we need right now.....is to entice 7,000,000 new shooters to reload!!!!!! ( excluding immediate family that is)
Not looking to start an argument or anything like that, but that seems a little short-sited, to me. The long-term preservation of what we enjoy (shooting and everything that goes with it) relies on more people having the sort of passion for it that most reloaders do. I think more reloaders equals more chance for the sport/hobby to be sustainable in the long haul. I would never discourage, or hide the opportunity from anyone that showed interest. Just my opinion. .

When, l stopped letting that ,made in Russia stuff, be imported and sold at the walmarts, sure did put a dent, in the components supply network. Not so much for serious hunting shooters but, guys that just used em for target practice . Those extra replacement primers, gotta come from somewhere, right off the supply chain.

Last edited:
I'm hoping my girls want to shoot and hunt which hopefully leads to reloading.

I've helped a buddy get started with reloading. He bought a 300 WM and I told him he should start reloading for it. He didn't have any stuff so I said to come over and he can use mine and I'll show him how. I even donated primers to the cause.

Another buddy of mine got a 28 Nosler after I suggested it. I'm sure he knew basics on reloading but I had to let him use my stuff and I helped him get going for that rifle. I even just bought him a press so he could get his own setup going.

View attachment 481456
Teach them young that it's fun and most of the time they will follow up doing those things when they are grown.
I have all girls and only 1 doesn't shoot, load and hunt. I always treated them just like I would boys.
One of my girls wanted a 7mag for her graduation present lol so I took her to Cabelas and bought her one.
😁 I am a proud daddy

I teached at least 10 persons but It's so much time consuming.
I got an opportunity through longrangehunter.ca to put it all on videos that they are selling for cheap and all I have to do now is answer questions on small things people didn't understand in the videos and about new stuff appearing on the market. It's a lot more efficient and if the consumers want private lesson, it's unfortunate but nowadays, my gas and time are costing something (except for close friend).
I still introduce approximately 10 to 15 persons a year to shooting sports, free of charge, on top of the 4-5 class I give on long range shooting with longrangeacademy.ca.

Recent Posts