Parker Hale 300 win mag for long range?

TBuckus

Is the Parker Hale an action worth working on for a long range elk gun? 1000 yds or less.

I may inherit one, don't need it for my everyday elk rifle. Trying to figure out if it is worth adding a new barrel/ break/ action truing.

Is the Parker Hale an action worth working on for a long range elk gun? 1000 yds or less.

I may inherit one, don't need it for my everyday elk rifle. Trying to figure out if it is worth adding a new barrel/ break/ action truing.
If it's one of their sporterized Mauser actions it could be. Take it and shoot it and see what you think.

I believe the Parker Hale is a post war Mark X commercial mauser. If that is what you have, your action is made with modern steel and is among the more desirable mauser sporter actions.

Not a lot has to be done to a mauser in the way of truing. Square up the two receiver faces, square up the bolt face, and lap the locking lugs. Put a good barrel on it and bed it in a decent stock (I would suggest synthetic w/aluminum bedding block or a good laminate) and you will have an excellent hunting rifle.

One thing to be aware of with the mausers is that they are not as rigid as some of the tubular actions like the Remington or Savage, which can cause problems if you go with an overly heavy barrel contour. A contour equivalent to a Remington Sendero/varmint contour, or smaller, should be a safe choice.

I would wonder if the Parker Hale is forged and case hardened as are the military versions.

If so, even polishing the recoil surfaces in the action could remove the case hardening.

Don't have personal experience with.

Remmy and savages are turned/milled.

My German made Brazilian Mod 1908 shoots lights out good with both barrels that have been on it. A machine tool has never touched it.

FWIW

The postwar commercial mausers, such as the Parker Hale, use modern carbon steels that allow for conventional heat treatment, rather than case hardening.

Thanks for the info guys.
My father in law has decided to use his '06 for the last few years he can elk hunt. He and I have taken a few elk with it, but have never shot long range.
I would like to build a budget long range gun. Ideally, I'd like to build it off a 700 action, but this could save me a few $ using this one since I already have a Tikka 300wsm.

Thanks for the info guys.
My father in law has decided to use his '06 for the last few years he can elk hunt. He and I have taken a few elk with it, but have never shot long range.
I would like to build a budget long range gun. Ideally, I'd like to build it off a 700 action, but this could save me a few $ using this one since I already have a Tikka 300wsm.
If it's already holding MOA for you at 100yds, just stretch it out to 300 and see if it still is. If it is, you already have a nice long range set up.

Since it's already shooting well if later you want to go with a longer/heavier barrel just pick one of the good barrel makers and you are off to the races.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.