Long range 300 win mag loads?

Magnum72576

Thanks to this site I'm currently awaiting my cutsom build, 300 win mag with a 24" barrel. I was going to purchase some more loading components before that's outlawed here in NY also. Looking for some long range hunting loads out to 1000yds. Game will be deer and occasionally an elk. I have been looking at the Berger bullets, and also did some reading on Matrix. From what I have learned on here I should stick with the heavier bulltets 180gr upto the 210gr. Any advice on the best powders to use that will yield consistent results regardless of temperature and altitude. Im open to suggestions. I have been handloading for around 20 years but usually use nosler ballistic tips or partitions and kept my range under 500 yds.
Thanks Tony

Thanks to this site I'm currently awaiting my cutsom build, 300 win mag with a 24" barrel. I was going to purchase some more loading components before that's outlawed here in NY also. Looking for some long range hunting loads out to 1000yds. Game will be deer and occasionally an elk. I have been looking at the Berger bullets, and also did some reading on Matrix. From what I have learned on here I should stick with the heavier bulltets 180gr upto the 210gr. Any advice on the best powders to use that will yield consistent results regardless of temperature and altitude. Im open to suggestions. I have been handloading for around 20 years but usually use nosler ballistic tips or partitions and kept my range under 500 yds.
Thanks Tony

I just completed a successful load work up using high BC bullets for my Remington Milspec 300WM with a 24" barrel. I will start by thanking some very knowledgeable members of this forum for excellent advice and load suggestions. I was able to achieve sub .5 MOA groups at 200 yards with ES under 12FPS for two loads. I used Norma brass, Federal 215 primers, and neck sized with redding .335" bushing dye. The 210 Berger Hunting VLD's were seated .010" off the lands. Optimimum accuracy and ES was achieved with two powders.
75.5 gr H1000, 2750 FPS
79 gr Retumbo, 2850 FPS
I experienced no ppressure signs with either load, and have been able to use neck sized up to 4-5 loads before resizing with a body dye. I tried two powders because this is was I had in supply. I will go with the Retumbo because it completely fills the case, gives 100FPS more velocity, and provides ES of single digits, slightly better than the H 1000. Hope this helps.

I have never set up a 300 win with a 24" tube. But I have many with 26". I would recommend this for a load.

RP or WW brass. RWS is stronger but it ahs less case volume and you will have to reduce charge weights by about 3 gr.

So, RP or WW brass.

Get some FED GM 215 M primers and or some CCI 250 Magnums. I like test both but more times than not the Fed 215 is good to go.

Start with 73 gr of H-1000 powder and work up in 1/2 gr steps.

Use a 210 HVLD or a 215 Hybrid Berger. I really like the 215's for the shorter bearing surface and high BC. I think you will see more velocity with the 215's.

Seat them at .040" off the lands to start, then fine tune after you find the sweet spot in the charge weight.

Jeff

Broz,
I purchased RWS brass to use with the 215's for my new 300 win mag build, did I make a mistake?
Didn't mean to hijack thread.

Broz,
I purchased RWS brass to use with the 215's for my new 300 win mag build, did I make a mistake?
Didn't mean to hijack thread.

No not at all. RWS is tough stuff and great brass. But it is thick and heavy so the thickness results in loss of case capacity. I have found that when I have a load worked up in WW, RP, Lapua, Graff, or other cases with a higher volume and I switch to RWS I need to drop the charge by 3 to 4 gr. or it will be over pressure. I don't feel there is a huge loss in velocity, if any, I really have not compared them all to see what will produce the highest velocity. I use some of an old stash of Lapua and I get great velocity and can run the charge up. My reason for posting that was not to discourage the use of RWS, but to let people know that your starting and finished charges will need to be lower in RWS brass, compared to cases with higher volumes.

Jeff

Guys
Thanks for all the great info. Keep it coming, I'm taking it all in. For Jon I Live near Albany NY. I was just venting my frustration with all the gun issues going in here in NY. I know loading components are not really outlawed her in NY, but give it time. I never thought I would see a shortage of 22lr ammo. In my area nobody can get it, that includes big stores and the mom and pop shops.
Thanks Tony

Guys
Thanks for all the great info. Keep it coming, I'm taking it all in. For Jon I Live near Albany NY. I was just venting my frustration with all the gun issues going in here in NY. I know loading components are not really outlawed her in NY, but give it time. I never thought I would see a shortage of 22lr ammo. In my area nobody can get it, that includes big stores and the mom and pop shops.
Thanks Tony

I'm with you man, have you joined scope or nra? What do you need exactly? Aldon has a bunch of powder for sale, he lives in Malta.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.