paper and watermelon testing

Truc

I have been sighting in a few rifles and wanted to see what the terminal impact was like for a bear hunt I have coming up in less than two weeks.

My first test was with a 338/06 shooting a 210 Sirocco bonded bullet, after finding a load, I had some watermelons that had not really ripen and had no other form of test media so it split the watermelon in about 4 pieces.
I had the same results with a 150 Hornady Interbond from a 300 SAUM, maybe half was trash but still a good size piece left.
I then shot another watermelon with my 7SAUM and the 180 Berger traveling about 2750fps and it turned the watermelon into vapor w/ the biggest piece I could find was about 1" up to 40' away. Had the same results with a 168 Berger out of a 7 Rem Mag.
Now here is what I did not expect. I shot another one with a 350 Rem Mag and a 200 Barnes TSX around 2800fps, It had the same results as the Berger tiny pieces out to about 40 ft.
So what did I learn? well pretty much anything will kill a watermelon.

My wife will be using the 350 mag and I'll be using the 338/06 as we will be hunting thick timber so shots will be under 100 yds

I almost forgot my new 280 Rem, since a few people here think the 280 isn't up to it, I shot this watermelon at only 50yds vs the 100yds with the others. I shot it using the 140 Nosler Partition and it blew pieces out but did not completely vaporize like the Bergers, it was more like a mix between the two, being the bonded and the Bergers.

The only bullet recovered was from the 150 Hornady Interbond from the 300 SAUM, it measured .86 x.76" and was only about 3" in the dirt berm.

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.