Paint removal

wingman

A few years back i painted my coyote hunting rifle, a 12 savage in .22-250. I painted everything, took it out of the stock ane i painted it all. It works great, and looked good. After a few years of use and abuse i want to strip it all down and give it a fresh look. What can i use to remove the paint but not hurt the blueing on the gun? Thanks for the advise.

PS. i posted a while back about getting a .300 RUM. I found one that is in Great shape. I bought a Remington 700 BDL, 26"pipe. I think with a little trigger work and maybe a new stock this will do everything i hoped it would do. Thanks to all that replied to me prior!

Judd

I have never done it on a rifle, but used to paint my duck guns all the time. Since I did it about every year or so, I just used regular "Krylon" type paint. When I took it off I sprayed it pretty liberally with carburator cleaner and immediately started wiping it off. Never hurt the original blueing but I would try a spot somewhere under the stock and out of sight before diving in. Also I never let it sit on the gun long, especially once the paint started coming off and oiled the crud out of it when done.

My rem 700 in 17 fireball was completely painted with krylon. Even the scope. I went to Walmart and bought 2 cans of aerosl paint stripper. Then I took it out of the stock and soaked it. Then hit it with a water hose and spray nozzle. Then dried it and did a second coat and hosed it again. That got over 95% of it and what was left in the cracks I removed with a rag and some acetone. Then cleaned and oiled the rifle. Looked like new! This was a newer 700 in the black plastic stock with a satin blued finish. Nothing was damaged and it was pretty easy to do. But you may want to do a test on a spot tha will not show when assembled. And I doubt this would work on a wood clear coat stock.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

THANKS GUYS! I too did the Krylon spray paint job. I appreciate the response. this is on a Savage 12 with the plastic synthetic stock, i too painted the scope....EVERYTHING but the bolt body. I will definately try these tips, with a test spot. Again much appreciated!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.