Over sized ID recoil lug... good idea or bad?

Black Squirrel

Improper machining and lost USPS deliveries has now left me with 2 options for recoil lugs. Shilen is waiting for me to send them a lug to finish my barrel.

Option 1: Defensive edge lug - .300 thick, 1.125 (1 1/8") ID

Option 2: Holland lug - .250 thick, 1.0625 (1 1/16") ID

The barrel is being threaded to Remington standard 1.0625. The barrel after the threads is 1.220.

Am I opening a can of worms using the DE lug? The step of the barrel that contacts the face of the lug will only be about .047, is that enough?

Improper machining and lost USPS deliveries has now left me with 2 options for recoil lugs. Shilen is waiting for me to send them a lug to finish my barrel.

The barrel is being threaded to Remington standard 1.0625. The barrel after the threads is 1.220.

Am I opening a can of worms using the DE lug? The step of the barrel that contacts the face of the lug will only be about .047, is that enough?

Have you addressed this issue with Shilen? I'm pretty sure they would know the best fit for what they are working on.

You can also shipped both so they can physically try it, since shipping cost is the same.

Just a thought for your consideration. Good luck!

Why would you even consider using a 1.125" lug on a 1.062" tenon?

I called DE, and said I needed a recoil lug for my Remington 700. He said the are 1.125" and the barrel would need to be made to accommodate that. I didn't give it much thought until now. The barrel would need to step up from 1.0625 threads to a 1.125 shoulder for the lug.

Why would you even consider using a 1.125" lug on a 1.062" tenon?
I agree with Ed. Take a look at the ones Sunny Hill makes. Available from Brownells in SS or CM. 1/4" thick, ground on both sides, hole 90* to the sides, lower cost than the ones you mentioned. "Higher cost doen't always mean better".

With the barrel already set up to cut and thread it would take very little time to cut a step for the larger lug. +1 on calling shilen to see what they say.

The recoil lug needs to fit the barrel tenon. Also I am not a big fan of recoil lugs that are thicker than .225 because often you have to remove to much stock material to fit them in the recoil pocket for bedding, weakening the stock.

After market .200 to .225 recoil lugs are more than strong enough and are precision ground, so get the one that fits your barrel tenon and don't look back.

J E CUSTOM

Talked with one of the techs at Shilen this morning, they want the Holland lug. They told me the DE lug isn't even usable with my contour.

I made a drawing that I post over the lathe when cutting threads and chamber.

Attachments

• Rem700 rebarreling drawing.jpg
    Rem700 rebarreling drawing.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 136
I've bought the Holland .250 lugs for a couple of builds and have found them to be a good product for me on Remington 700s . My Smith likes them very much.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.