Other cheytec primers

jbs2014

As I understand it the Federal 215 Large Magnum Rifle primers are the prefered primer for reloading the 408 and 375 cheytac. Problem is I can't find them anywhere online. Are there any alternates that work as well? Both rifles are built on Lawton actions.

Thank You

Winchester WLRM are supposed to be slightly warmer.
I suppose they're worth a try.

The reason I stay away from them is the OD of the primer cup is smaller than Fed or CCI, meaning they don't seal the primer pocket as good after a few firings .

Winchester WLRM are supposed to be slightly warmer.
I suppose they're worth a try.

The reason I stay away from them is the OD of the primer cup is smaller than Fed or CCI, meaning they don't seal the primer pocket as good after a few firings .

Does CCI have any compatable primers for the cheytac

Do not, I reapeat... DO NOT use CCI 250 in Cheytac cased cartridges. You WILL have hang-fires. They are most definitely not as hot as the federals.

Wow, really? I didn't know that (about the hang fires). When I started testing RL33 I used the CCI because the Feds were nowhere around. I had both but several thousand more Fed so I was gonna set those aside for my .338's and use the CCI for my .408. The CCI 250's worked fine, but the Federal 215's gave better accuracy.
As for the Federals being hotter, this I believe as it gives the same velocity as the CCI but with a full grain less powder.

I have no doubt that it depends greatly upon lot number of primers and powder, as well as the type of powder, but I tried using CCI-250 in 375CT with Retumbo and one to two out of every 3 were hang fires. I know it isn't the components, since I used that same lot of both primers and powder in 338LM with no ill results at all. Imagine my surprise!

When I went researching as to why it was happening, I encountered about half a dozen people that were very familiar with the problem. They gave me the "you new or something?" look. The big cartridges are a different animal than the 338's.

Your experiences would seem to indicate that RL-33 is quite a bit easier to ignite than Retumbo.

Last edited:
Yes they are!
And due to your experiences I will no longer use the CCI with the Cheytac case, thanks for the heads up.

You're welcome. I edited my post to add, I think they key take-away from your experiences is that the RL-33 must be easier to ignite. That would explain why you haven't seen any issues with the CCI-250's. Those same primers with Retumbo on the other hand are virtually assured to have hang-fires.

Orkan

You ever have a primer get struck and not ignite the powder? This has happened a couple of times with my 408 and 375.

Thanks for all the good info

Orkan

You ever have a primer get struck and not ignite the powder? This has happened a couple of times with my 408 and 375.

Thanks for all the good info

Yes. That was actually how I discovered the CCI-250 hang-fire cause. One of them that didn't ever finally go off after being hit, I pulled it down, and discovered "flash burnt" powder all clumped up, and a completely burned primer. I wish I'd have taken a picture, but I subsequently found a picture that looked quite similar to the powder I dumped out of that case. It was immediately obvious that the primer ignited completely, but did not actually cause the powder to ignite. Instead it seemed to burn the surface of the kernels, and cause it to clump up.

I'm not sure of the specific circumstances behind the picture below, but it was the closest I could find to what I saw.

hang-fire.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.