Oryx Hunt WSMR Stallion Range HELP

Rayswolf

Hello all, I was drawn for the September WSMB Stallion Range area. Can anyone give me advice on how, where, and what roads to take, and any other advice would be deeply appreciated.
Thank you!:)

Well, they will be sending you a bunch of papers to fill out and they will also send you a map of you area. I Havnt been in there enough to tell you the roads are. But there are a lot of oryx on the range so you should have no problem seeing them.

1. Study up on the shot placement for Oryx. If you aim for vitals like you would on a deer or elk, you will miss all the vitals on an oryx. Their vitals are lower and more forward. You basically have to shoot low shoulder.

2. Be prepared for a longer shot. You will be lucky if you get ashot under 250-300 yards.

3. Follow the rules supplied to you with all the other papers. They don't play around.

The map is pretty good about showing the roads. It is a great hunt and the meat is spectacular.

Well, they will be sending you a bunch of papers to fill out and they will also send you a map of you area. I Havnt been in there enough to tell you the roads are. But there are a lot of oryx on the range so you should have no problem seeing them.

1. Study up on the shot placement for Oryx. If you aim for vitals like you would on a deer or elk, you will miss all the vitals on an oryx. Their vitals are lower and more forward. You basically have to shoot low shoulder.

2. Be prepared for a longer shot. You will be lucky if you get ashot under 250-300 yards.

3. Follow the rules supplied to you with all the other papers. They don't play around.

The map is pretty good about showing the roads. It is a great hunt and the meat is spectacular.

++1

Thank you for the heads up on the paper work, I have not received anything from NMGF as of today but it is good to know that they are sending me maps. I have been reading all the posts on past Oryx hunts and doing homework. Will they let you retrieve a kill with a vehicle or ATV?
Thank you for your help!
Ray

I was able to retrieve mine with an ATV. I don't know about a vehicle though. All of that will be in with the paperwork. Pretty much any question that you have is answered in there. They have been doing this field a while and they will also have a number to call if you do have any questions that are not answered in the paper work.

One important thing to remember that requires prior planning. You must have a hunters safety education card to hunt on WSMR (or Ft. Bliss). The state does not require this for adults to hunt, but the military does require it on land controlled by them.

One important thing to remember that requires prior planning. You must have a hunters safety education card to hunt on WSMR (or Ft. Bliss). The state does not require this for adults to hunt, but the military does require it on land controlled by them.

Yup and it can be from any state as long as you have one. Also, I believe that you have to have some kind of safety course to operate an ATV on there. But you can call and get all that information when you get your papers.

As previously stated you wil be getting lots of detail about the hunt, I have been lucky enough to be on the Stallion 7 times over the past 10 years either with friends or family hunting Oryx. The sucess rate has been steadily dropping as the Army and G&F have been putting a lot of pressure on the population but you will still see lots of Oryx. 10 years ago this was an easy hunt but nowadays you will have to work for your Oryx and they are a lot more skittish than they used to be....I'm not trying to scare you off but just trying to set your expectations against what you may read online.

Nonetheless this is a great opportunity, when you get your maps look towards the southern end of the unit down towards mockingbird gap and to the west you will see what's called the poison hills, we have taken two in this area in the past and the terrain had a little more natural breaks that allow for easier stalking......take some good binoculars and do lots of glassing versus just walking around, I try and stay mobile until I find the Oryx and stalk......most of the terrain in the middle of the unit is quite flat with semi tall bushes and its hard to put on a good stalk.......I shot my bull at 175 yds, my wife's was about 75yds and my son took his at 650yds so you need to be prepared for anything in between.

Congrats on a great hunt, pm me if you have any questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.