Options for opening up barrel channel?

Unless you're that good with it 😉
I'd take it that glock24 would want something close to a competent, adult looking job when he's done, not something that looks like a 12 yr old did it! Done with a Dremel tool would no where near pass muster in my world, no matter how good you think you are with it.... Been 'smithing on a professional basis for 31yrs. No way would I use a Dremel tool for opening a barrel channel. I have used a 1/4" die grinder with various carbide burrs to get 'close', then 'scrape' my way to finish. It's no wonder there's so much on the 'used' racks in gunshops and in the pawn shops that looks like a 12yr old got turned loose with power tools, and now looks like it. Fast and easy just doesn't 'cut it' when doing stock work, unless ya' don't care what it looks like in the end.

Last edited:
I am real olde have had extensive experience with opening barrel channels. I was a gofer for well known rifle maker and observed him crafting many beautiful gun stocks for rifles that he sold for $7K & more using pricy & exotic wood., like highly figured Bastogne walnut having excellent grain flow. He used one of these:

IMG_1810.JPG

I also use this.

Try Brownell's. These are commonly "sold out" but are worth waiting for.

Should this item not be available a flat file of .5 inch width can have the end ground to a circle and used as a scraper. The edge must be sharp and a diamond grit sharpening stone can be used to sharpen & maintain the edge,

It is important to scrape with the grain flow. Moderate force applied to the edge will remove wood. This & the Brownell's scraper is not intended for starting a barrel channel in a stock blank. I have used my cordless with a 1/2 inch starter point drill (series of shallow holes drilled into line drawn with straight edge) & gouges, chisels, & round Stanley Surform wood rasp (pull instead of push) to get the channel started. Many stocks like those from Richards come with barrel channels close enough to be scraped out.

Last edited:
I'd take it that glock24 would want something close to a competent, adult looking job when he's done, not something that looks like a 12 yr old did it! Done with a Dremel tool would no where near pass muster in my world, no matter how good you think you are with it.... Been 'smithing on a professional basis for 31yrs. No way would I use a Dremel tool for opening a barrel channel. I have used a 1/4" die grinder with various carbide burrs to get 'close', then 'scrape' my way to finish. It's no wonder there's so much on the 'used' racks in gunshops and in the pawn shops that looks like a 12yr old got turned loose with power tools, and now looks like it. Fast and easy just doesn't 'cut it' when doing stock work, unless ya' don't care what it looks like in the end.
You seem angry

You seem angry
Just because he disagrees strongly with you does not make him "Angry". Trying to negate very real input by calling people emotional, woke, leftist and many other worse things, seems to be the way people want to discuss stuff these days. You want to answer his criticism, show him a top notch barrel channel and inletting job done with your Dremel tool.

All in, shoddy work does make a number of us angry because it messes up nice rifles for no good reason beyond laziness and/or lack of proper training.

Okay, you win, the op was looking for suggestions on a Boyd's stock, not a piece of fine walnut. Apparently, I do shoddy work, that make you feel better? I do what I do, you do what you do. Signing off

You just need the right tool for the job. Fancy wood stock those tools and hand scrapers work well. Glass or carbon stock with bedding block a dowel or socket with sand paper works good for minor work.