Barrel channel widening

bstomper

Didn't really know where to put this so I hope this is the place. I am getting a new barrel for my Model 70, at this point the make of the barrel is still undecided. The barrel I have on it now is the stock sporter type barrel and the one I will be getting is definately goingto be a heavier contoured barrel. I have a wood laminate stock on this rifle and I will be needing to open up the barrel channel to fit the heavier barrel. The stock, which I really like, is a Boyds varmit thumbhole that is pillar and action bedded and the fore end of the stock has plenty of room to fit the new heavy contour. I am looking for suggestions as to what would be the best/ easiest way to remove the material in this area

I had to do some fitting on a Boyd's Varmint Stock for my 17 HMR. I used a 8" long section of wooden dowel roughly the same size as my barrel contour. I then wrapped it in a fresh sheet of 120 grit sandpaper and slowly worked on it. A little patience and attentions to detail yielded a decent finish.

I had to do some fitting on a Boyd's Varmint Stock for my 17 HMR. I used a 8" long section of wooden dowel roughly the same size as my barrel contour. I then wrapped it in a fresh sheet of 120 grit sandpaper and slowly worked on it. A little patience and attentions to detail yielded a decent finish.
If you have a fairly substantial amount of wood to remove, Brownell's carries a barrel channel inletting tool that works well and leaves a smooth finish.

DSCF1313.JPG

Didn't really know where to put this so I hope this is the place. I am getting a new barrel for my Model 70, at this point the make of the barrel is still undecided. The barrel I have on it now is the stock sporter type barrel and the one I will be getting is definately goingto be a heavier contoured barrel. I have a wood laminate stock on this rifle and I will be needing to open up the barrel channel to fit the heavier barrel. The stock, which I really like, is a Boyds varmit thumbhole that is pillar and action bedded and the fore end of the stock has plenty of room to fit the new heavy contour. I am looking for suggestions as to what would be the best/ easiest way to remove the material in this area
I use a deep well socket because they are longer find the appropriate size which is as close as possible to the diameter of your barrel wrap that with a piece of sandpaper and get to work

There are several good tools for this and here is one.

Also the one shortgrass pictured is good. The dowel and sandpaper will do it but it will take a long time and work. I use the barrel scrapers and finish up with the sandpaper.

Here is another type that many use but it is more difficult for removing large amounts of wood.

J E CUSTOM

Gunline Tools makes tools for opening the barrel channel as well as checkering tools . I also made my own years ago out of rat tail rasps like what short grass has shown .

What you will need :

Inletting studs ¼ x 32, for Win M70

inletting ink – Dykem will work , for transferring the imprint of the barreled action to the stock so you know where to remove material.

barrel channel – Gunline barrel bedding tool, sandpaper on a dowel, scrapers - to remove the material

Follow the example in the linked video below (you will be working more in the barrel channel than shown in the video) :

Happy to see the Gunline multi disc barrel scraper/outer @ Brownell's - I thought they quit making these. I have used the 5/8 inch size for years on walnut, maple, laminates, epoxy, & plastics.

I don't know about Shortgrass's but mine were . I took old rat tailed rasps cut pieces out of them then annealed them put them in a collet in the lathe drilled and taped them for 1/4 20 threads then tempered them back to hard of around 62-65 rock well . To sharpen them I put them in a mild sulfuric acid solution over night then rinsed them with water and baking soda cleaned them with a hand held wire brush and put some spray silicone on them . If I find the need to lubricate them I use soapstone the same as I do my files it cleans off and doesn't leave any staining or residue with a good stiff bristle brush or on metal a small amount of alcohol and a lent free cloth or paper towel .But then I spent most of my life working on steam turbines , gear box's , governors , valve controls , babbitt bearings and high pressure steam welding not rifles ,so I do things a little differently then good gun smiths would because my training was different then theirs was .

Recent Posts