Options for new barrel...

Iraqvet2003

I have a Weatherby Vanguard I picked up on the cheap, and it has a Douglas Heavy profile .257WBY Mag barrel (24"+4" of muzzle brake). My question is for long range speed goats, deer, and maybe an elk someday, what are your thoughts on the 7LRM by the Gunwerks boys, the 28 Nosler, and the 7mm Dakota. Would I be better served to hunt antelope and deer with the 26Nosler or 6.5x284?? So many options!!!!! Thoughts??

For antelope and deer, the 257 Weatherby will work just fine for long range work. It is very flat shooting, will have enough power, and you already have it. Unless it does not shoot well, then that is a different story.:)

For elk, it should work to as long as you limit how far you shoot it, due to bullet energy and bullet construction.

Shot placement is critical for all of these cartridges, so that will be a limiting factor with all of them.

Ok, now onto your question. All of the mentioned calibers will work. They are all good, with some having limited sources of brass. The 7mm LRM, 28 Nosler, 7mm Dakota, 7mm STW, 7mm Rem Mag, and 7mm Weatherby Mag all will work great as antelope, deer, and elk rounds for long range shooting. Just make sure that the barrel is a 1:8" twist barrel. This is so that they can shoot the heavy bullets for the 7mm. Also check to see what the mag length is, as the STW might be a bit tight in their.

As for the 6.5mm loads, they will work fine too for antelope and deer. For elk, I would limit my range with the 6.5x284 due to energy, but it will still work good. I am not sure how well the 6.5x284 will work with the bolt face of your rifle though. That would need to be checked before I would move on that cartridge.

2003, perhaps measure you mag box length, compare OAL of your potential caliber choices to the measurement. Sounds like a nice project, the Howa action is considered by many a good build action. Good luck

The 6.5x284 would require a different bolt head, as it is .473" in diameter instead the diameter you have which is .540". I have a bolt body in .473" that I would swap with you if you wanted to go that route. Of all of the cartridges you mentioned I would go with the 28 Nosler as it will be easier to get brass, dies, etc. and have a higher resale value should you ever decide to sell it.

I built a 30-375 Ruger on a Howa action and it functions great through the mag box and action, the 28 Nosler is similar enough that I would be a sizeable amount that it would handle the 28 Nosler. I built the 30-375 just before the 26 Nosler came out, I would have gone with the Nosler case had it been available instead of the Ruger case.

With Mag box length in mind you want to make sure the reamer has a throat that is not too long so that the COAL of a round just touching the throat is not too long for the mag box. One way to handle that is to send a dummy round with the bullet you think you will shoot (I would go with the 180 g Berger) with an COAL that will fir the mag box and tell the reamer manufacture I just want to touch the lands. As a hunting gun I would not jam the bullet into the lands, when you unload a live round that is jammed sometimes the bullet is pulled and you get all the powder dumped in the lug recesses of the action and have a mess.

Hope this helps,
wade

Thanks for the replies fellas. I haven't shot the "boom stick" yet as every time I try to mother nature dumps a foot of snow on us (I live in North Dakota).... If it shoots well, I will prolly keep it as a .257WBY... Not alot to choose from with bullet selection, especially boat tails... Berger VLDs, Hornady Interlok, Nosler Partitions seem to be about it. Good call on the bolt face. I wouldn't have thought of that. 28 Nosler seems to be the one I am leaning toward if I do make the swap... THANKS FOR THE INPUT FELLAS

Because you'll be a little more limited on overall length with that action, compared to say a Rem 700, the 7mm Blaser Magnum would suit your needs quite well. Mine loaded with a 180 Berger has an OAL of 3.260 and shoots those 180's out of a 26in. tube 3050fps.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I haven't shot the "boom stick" yet as every time I try to mother nature dumps a foot of snow on us (I live in North Dakota).... If it shoots well, I will prolly keep it as a .257WBY... Not alot to choose from with bullet selection, especially boat tails... Berger VLDs, Hornady Interlok, Nosler Partitions seem to be about it. Good call on the bolt face. I wouldn't have thought of that. 28 Nosler seems to be the one I am leaning toward if I do make the swap... THANKS FOR THE INPUT FELLAS

Here's a few more .25 cal bullet options ...

https://cuttingedgebullets.com/shop/cutting-edge-bullets/rifle-bullets?caliber=5

https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/257/

GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/bullets/rifle.cfm

Products

http://barnesbullets.com/bullets/ttsx/

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.