Factory Barrel Options?

Jinx-)

Just got new Savage LRP its chambered for 260 REM and it has 1:8 twist. I bough it with idea to shoot 140 gr bullets, but the way this chamber is cut I have to seat bullets to dip, this leaves less room for powder. I should probably get custom barrel, like Shilen or Krieger for specific bullet and I will probably do it. What I would like to know if gunsmith can modify factory barrel I have to handle longer bullets, what this procedure called and how much does it cost? Thanx

You should be able to find a gunsmith that will lengthen the throat to allow you to seat your bullets out farther.

First, you may want to determine how much farther out you would want to seat them and whether or not they'll fit into your magazine once you've done that.

Ideally, you would load up a dumby round and verify that it fits in your magazine and send it to the gunsmith when he gets ready to do the work.

-- richard

Thank you, Scott! I will ask around about extending throat on this barrel. Do you know estimated cost for such procedure? I'm trying figure out if I should even bother with this barrel. Thing about magazine, I don't use it, single shot follower was my idea for target action, so the length of the clip is not an issue here.

There are a lot of great gunsmiths on this forum.

I'll leave it to them to jump in with pricing.

I suspect it's pretty inexpensive if that's all that you want/need done. But, chances are that there are other things they can/should do while they are working on the rifle.

Depending on how much you want done, it may be a good time to go ahead and rebarrel.

-- richard

This barrel does have issue with copper fouling, I fired 40 shots so far with 5 shot clean but the issue remain, I have some J&B, so I can try to polish it a bit. Maybe if throat to be extended I would replace recoil lug. By the way does anyone know what kind recoil lug Savage puts on their target action rifles?

It should cost around $75-125 depending on who does it. I would just make up a dummy round and send with your gun to throat it to where you want it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.