Opening a McMillan barrel channel

megastink

I bought a McMillan secondhand and then acquired a McGowan barrel for a song, but the barrel channel on the stock is too narrow. I'm planning on opening it up with a dowel and sandpaper. But should I finish it with something? Clear coat? Something protective, or is that unnecessary?

I tape off the stock and rattle can a thin coat of matching paint in the channel, then a clear topcoat of Brownells Alumahyde or something durable.
I don't get the "warm fuzzies" by leaving any part of a rifle unprotected from the elements.
Cheap, easy piece of mind.

I bought a McMillan secondhand and then acquired a McGowan barrel for a song, but the barrel channel on the stock is too narrow. I'm planning on opening it up with a dowel and sandpaper. But should I finish it with something? Clear coat? Something protective, or is that unnecessary?
I purchased a small can of exterior Varathane for this purpose - seals barrel channel and any exposed areas where I've had to do some in-letting. Works great.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.