Optimal Barrel Length

USA_774

My boss is venturing into the world of hunting suppressed. He has a Thompson Pro Encore Hunter Rifle with a factory 28" fluted stainless barrel. In a 300WM and I'm not sure of the twist rate.
He wants to cut down the length of the barrel to better balance the rifle with the suppressor attached. The question is how short can he go without losing too much velocity and the gun still shoot accurately. He is shooting Nosler 180 grain Accubonds ammunition.

I know There are lots of people on this forum who know way more than I do about ballistics. I thought I'd seek some information for him.

The other issue is he will be getting into the fluted area of the barrel. Will that effect the harmonics adversely?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

It is best not to encroach on the flutes If you need to cut the barrel down. You can shorten the barrel at both ends down to a shorter length, but it is best that the breach remain un fluted over the chamber so he may not be able to shorten it much.

Other than the extra length of adding a suppressor, he would be better off leaving it like it is. The other option would be to have it re barreled
to a minimum of 22" for the 300 WM and also un fluted (It reduces the strength to the same as the next smaller contour).

J E CUSTOM

The other option would be to have it re barreled
to a minimum of 22" for the 300 WM and also un fluted (It reduces the strength to the same as the next smaller contour).

J E CUSTOM
I didn't realize that fluting had that much negative affect on the strength of the barrel.

Thanks for your response.

In my experience you really start to loose a lot of velocity when you go shorter than 26" with the big case mags. My suggestion is leave the 300 mag barrel alone and use ear protection. If he wants to run a can just purchase another barrel in 308 or 30-06 that is around 22" to run the can with. Chopping off a 300 mag to 22" will drop your velocity down to close to what the 30-06 would be. Just a thought.

I didn't realize that fluting had that much negative affect on the strength of the barrel.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, the old philosophy was that it made it stronger, but in truth when you remove metal it loses strength.

You have to go by weight. a straight tapered barrel has the same stiffness as a fluted barrel of the same weight.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
The suppressor will usually give back about what 2" of barrel loss will cause. 300 win, I'd suggest 24" barrel plus suppressor. If he were to rebarrel, I'd suggest a 300wsm throated properly for long heavy bullets at 22" plus suppressor, will run similar speeds to the 300wm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.