Optimal 270 WSM, 7 WSM or 300 WSM F-Class barrel specs

AlexF

I will soon have a new barrel installed on my 270 WSM and would like to know if anyone tried 270 WSM in F-Class competition.
What would be the "optimal" configuration: barrel profile, length and twist.
I'm planning to shoot Matrix Ballistics 165gr and 175gr Hunting VLDs.

I want to be able to buy factory ammo and hate recoil so I'm going the way of the 270 WSM but might try a 300 WSM barrel if it's "better".

Alex

Get the rule book out. I have or have owned 3 F class rifles. The max weight is what you have to work on. 22 pounds My 270 AI has a 9 twist for the heaviest .277 bullets made. The barrel is 29 inches amd 8.5 pound chromoly

So 270 wsm is a wonderful choice. You will always be the underdog against the hoards of 6.5, 7 mm and 284 bases rifles

So you add up your rifle without barrel on it and order accordingly My advice would be 9 twist and about 30 inches fluted stainless. with as heavy a barrel as needed.

Heavy .277 are very low recoil just because of the shear weight and don't require an brake

I've read posts from you before (bud light) ... first thing ... i'm Sure I hold several international records for quantity of bl consumed. Second, my foray into precision shooting is solely going to be around the 277 chamberings. I'm curious if you'd swap any load info with me for a 270win. Mine is basic for 1:10 and 24 bbl but got 110vmax and 140vlds shooting great. I have plenty of ideas that I want to play with in the future, for starters a 270ai with a new leade angle and throated for heavier class bullets, not sure which one yet. To the OPs question, for anyone doing a search and comes across it, i'll Second a 1:9 or 8.5ish solely for the Berger 170 and matrix 165. Could be a good f open gun if you don't mind a shorter barrel life. It's on my to do list.

When I'm searching through forums and come across an old post, I never know if it's better to continue posting relevant information on the old thread making it easier for people doing general google searches (how I found this forum initially) and keeping similar info in one spot or to create a new thread. I did assume Budlight still posted here however, it appears he was "last seen" 6-7 months ago.... I suppose I should have checked that out.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.