Optics suggestions

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Clubhunter, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Clubhunter

Clubhunter Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I am new on the forum but I have always been intrigued when watching the outdoor show about long range hunting. I live in Texas and use to hunt a lot. My son is 14 now and I have recently set him up with a 243 with a Nikon 3-9 scope to get started. All of my hunting rifles were sold several years ago. I have ordered a Remington 700 VTR ATAC in a 308. Areas that we will be hunting will be Texas, Utah, Wyoming and Mississippi. I would like to get some good quality optics that would provide me with some opportunities for 75-600 yard shots. I think that I need to stay no more than a 4 power for the low end. I also like the adjustable exposed turrets. I also like the 30mm tubes. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. 406precision

406precision Well-Known Member

Well I think you would like the 4-16x44 vortex hs-t it has everything you asked for and a zero stop function that will help you return to zero as well as an moa reticle that would alow for elevation and wind holds when dialing wasn't in the cards. You also get a ton of scope for the cost and the best warranty in the business. :D

Vortex Optics - Viper HS-T 4-16x44 VMR-1<br />(MOA)

3. Clubhunter

That was the scope that had my attention. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of base and rings would you go with?

4. 406precision

406precision Well-Known Member

I run a snowy mtn rifles. 20 moa base and vortex pmr rings

5. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Budget should dictate optics. I've got three Vortex Viper PST's and they are decent scopes for the money.

They are not in my opinion quite up to the same quality of glass as the Leupold VXIII's and certainly not the Mark 4's.

My favorite scope of all is the IOR Valdada Tactical IOR Valdada Scope 4 16x50 30mm FFP SF Mil Mil Tactical Digital Illum MP 8 Xtre | eBay

The Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50 is also another excellent choice.

Go with at least a 50mm Objective in whatever you choose and don't be afraid to save up for an extra month or few months if necessary to buy the best quality glass you can afford.

Buying top quality on the front end will save you money in the long run.

I really like the EGW HD scope bases and TPS TSR and TSRW rings. Great value for your money with both.

6. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

7. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

+1 for the Sightron SIII, you will not find better glass under $1000

8. WildRose

To add, don't be afraid to check out the classified ads here at LRH.

I've had nothing but good luck with my buys from other members.

9. Clubhunter

Good idea! Thanks

10. Clubhunter

Hey, what about the Nightforce SHV 4-14x56. Not sure which reticle would be better, the IHR or the MOAR. It's under a $1000 in the non illuminated version. Would the illuminated version be a better choice?

11. trebark

trebark Well-Known Member

No real need for an illuminated reticle.

12. WildRose

Ditto. The quality of the glass and low light performance is far more important. It is extremely rare for a lighted reticle to make the difference between being able to shot or not.

I would say though be patient and save up for an extra month and get the illuminated model just in case... .

Being patient sucks sometimes but in the end it's usually worth the wait.

13. Clubhunter

What about the type of reticle? IHR or the MOAR......

14. WildRose

MOAR would be my pick.