Steiner optics

I don't know about the mark 5 or the nx8, but I compared it to 2 kahles k318s I had and the steiners were every bit as good optically and blew them away with field of view. I know a guy who has the mark 5 3.6-18 and I'll try to compare soon

Last edited:
I have all three and for the price Scott sells them for "3-18x56" its the way to go. I like the turrets and glass better than my MK5 HD 5-25 plus you get illumination. In my opinion its pretty close to the NX8 4-32 but almost $550 cheaper. Just get one, you won't regret it.

I looked at the NX8 and MK5 before purchasing a 5-30 T6Xi. Aside from weight I think the Steiner has far better turrets, glass is as good at least, comes with excellent flip caps (NF are meh), and I like the MSR2 reticle a lot. It actually would be awesome for ranging antelope! Now the winter kill will make drawing a tag unlikely for me. Once the snow melts I'll be able to better test it though. It's still very new and I've only had it out twice shooting.

Riflescopes are an extremely personal choice when spending your own hard earned dollars. Better and best scopes are at an all-time high as far as prices are concerned.

It's not only the mechanics of actually running the scope but what you see when interacting with the reticle. Hunting scopes and reticles are or can be very different from target or ELR scopes. Finding the one which suits you and works the way you are comfortable with usually requires trips to a store so you can look through the various designs.

I prefer my hunting reticles to be much more simple than the ones I use for targets or ELR.

and I like the MSR2 reticle a lot

When searching for reticles, I found the MSR2 to be one which I might need to consider. I've had similar reticles from other manufacturers but I wanted to see just how this one worked. Searching a little more, I found this reticle actually has a users manual. It's very detailed, 27 pages worth. There are also simplified explanations on several websites which will get you through the understanding of all those hash marks.

I did get the reticle but in the S&B LR scope.

Take your time and compare!

:)