Optics suggestions

Im gonna have to agree to disagree on the glass quality in the vortex scopes, but everyones eyes are a little diffrent. I still think you would be well served by the vortex hs-t like I said I run one on a custom lapua not because it's all I could afford, but because it fit the intended use and had all the features i was looking for.

For the op's intended use I think it would be a great scope for the money and serve him well.

Hey, what about the Nightforce SHV 4-14x56. Not sure which reticle would be better, the IHR or the MOAR. It's under a $1000 in the non illuminated version. Would the illuminated version be a better choice?
I plan on buying one as soon as they become available...It will have the MOAR reticle. I also have no need for an illuminated reticle, so I plan on getting the regular $995 version. Plus, I think $200 for a battery to light up the crosshairs is rediculous. I have a $350 8-32x52 scope that has that and I never use it, why would I spend an extra $200 to have it, and never use it, just because the scope says NF on the side of it.

What about the type of reticle? IHR or the MOAR......

Choice of reticle is all about your shooting. For me, I shoot a lot of tactical matches. As a result, I have a mil reticle and my turrets adjust in mils.

If your turrets adjust in moa, then I would recommend an moa recticle of some variety.

this is all up to you. l have used all the best rifle scoupes out there. ZEİSS VİCTORY DAVARİ 6-24X56 SAWAROVSKİ SCHİMDİT BENDER but after l bought a NİGHTFORCE NSX 8-32X56 ı strongly think that this is the best one out there. ok the glass quality in a zeiss is fantastic but the functionality and the high zoom on the nightforce combined with its great reticals and overall quality have made this scope my favourit. l havent missed a shot on game with the NİGHTFORCE yet. so l strongly recomend you spend the extra few dolard and get your selph one.
but yet again its your taist. but l can guarantie you that you will love it and you will never be out classed..!!!gun)

I run the 4-16x50 viper xlr on my carry 338 lapua and I really like the scope it is about perfect for what I was looking for. I have used it out to 1000 and have not had a single issue. The xlr reticle is about as user friendly as it gets once your used to it.

I like the wind holds in the reticle as I very rarely dial wind as I prefer to hold over for wind . I bought the scope to save weight and bulk on my carry gun. I have run nightforce both the 5-22and 2-10 nxs and own about every upper end scope that vortex makes including a razor hd on my elr rifle and the only complaint I have with the xlr are the 1/2 moa verticle adjustments. but for what I do with the scope I can live with that.

I think I would like a little more magnification on the top end, but as you said maybe the 10 is all I need. The more I am delving into this the more I am learning. Thank you to all of you that have responded to this topic.
List of importance
1. Great glass with 30mm tube
2. MOA style rectical
3. Magnification suitable for hunting from 50-700rds
4. Adjustable turrets with some kind of zero capability .25 elevation
5. Very durable
6. Weight is reasonable
7. Company stands behind their products.

Buy once, cry once.

Very good advice, I can't agree more.

Im gonna have to agree to disagree on the glass quality in the vortex scopes, but everyones eyes are a little diffrent. I still think you would be well served by the vortex hs-t like I said I run one on a custom lapua not because it's all I could afford, but because it fit the intended use and had all the features i was looking for....

You'll have to bring that to Wyo, the glass on my PST is terrible. I'd like to know if I bought a lemon or that my eyes just don't like Vortex.

That 1/2 MOA elevation adjustment was my concern as well. I wanted to know if it was a big deal in a Hunters use.

I still have an original XTR with 1moa elevation adjustments, it's not great for ELR but <1k it's not that bad. I don't think you would be handicapped with .5moa at the distances you are talking about.

t

I think I would like a little more magnification on the top end, but as you said maybe the 10 is all I need. The more I am delving into this the more I am learning. Thank you to all of you that have responded to this topic.
List of importance
2. MOA style rectical
5. Very durable
6. Weight is reasonable

Look at the Sightron SIII scopes with a magnification range of 6-24x. They make them in first and second focal plane, MOA reticles, target or tactical knobs:

SWFA Riflescopes Sightron Riflescopes Sightron SIII Riflescopes

...and they meet ALL of your criteria. I say this from the standpoint that multiple friends of mine have them and shoot them regularly in hunting situations and tactical competitions.

List of importance
2. MOA style rectical
5. Very durable
6. Weight is reasonable

Then Nightforce 3.5-15x50 should be a great option as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.