Optics for your STW

JMack

What is everyone running on their rifles? What magnification, objectives, turrets, bdc etc.....?

Heading to Wyoming this fall for a whitetail hunt currently I have a 3-10 z3 plex. Just wandering if I should go to a turret or bdc reticle or change magnification. Not sure how far the average shot might be but I'd like to be prepared for 500-600. I feel pretty confident in the scope I'm using now out to 400 but after that holdover becomes a guessing game.

My gun is a factory Remington SS DBM 700 I mounted the z3 because that's what I had available.

Thanks!

What is everyone running on their rifles? What magnification, objectives, turrets, bdc etc.....?

Heading to Wyoming this fall for a whitetail hunt currently I have a 3-10 z3 plex. Just wandering if I should go to a turret or bdc reticle or change magnification. Not sure how far the average shot might be but I'd like to be prepared for 500-600. I feel pretty confident in the scope I'm using now out to 400 but after that holdover becomes a guessing game.

My gun is a factory Remington SS DBM 700 I mounted the z3 because that's what I had available.

Thanks!

The STW really shines at longer distances, so you'll want more magnification than what you currently have. I would suggest something on the high end of 18-25x. I put a Sightron SIII 6-24x with the MOA2 reticle. Love this reticle and I've been very happy with the scope. You'll want a reticle that will allow you to dope for the wind, too. I have a custom turret on it, so dial and shoot is great, but the reticle also allows me to holdover if I need. The glass is good, but not as good as my Swarovski Z5 5-25 BT 4W. I have that on my 300 WSM, but am limited to about 750 yards with its custom turret. Thought about putting it on the 7 STW, but would need a 20 moa rail and minimum 200 yard zero to be able to dial for longer distances.
I've shot 2 Wyoming antelope a little over 400 yards in the past 2 seasons. It was a chip shot for the STW and almost too easy. It's great having the confidence in a rifle that you know will perform if you do your part. The STW is that rifle for me.

Been running a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 BDC for years, but I want exposed turrets, so sooner or later, I'm going to swap it to a Viper HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 MRAD (like my other LR rigs) and put the HS BDC on my .30-06 AI.

Great insight I really appreciate it. My buddy has a z5 5-25 brh said I could try out, he is looking to sell it. Nice being able to try before I buy.

Got a wild hair and decided to swap some stuff, that I had been thinking about for a while now, and just decided what the hell, and went for it. I'm happy now. :D

Sendero SF 7mm STW now has one of my HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 (MRAD) scopes on it. And swapped the Viper HS 6-24x50 BDC reticle to my .30-06 AI.

While I had the tools out, figured I'd swap a couple other scopes as well. I'll take some pics and post them later in the STW Picture Thread.

I've got VX-6 3-18x50 with CDS side focus, just got my CDS dial in on Friday and with Barnes 145's at 3,454 fps 1.75" scope center I can get 650 yards with zero stop.
I'm okay with the range because it's my hunting rifle and that's my limit.

Just picked up a Burris Veracity 4-20x50, MAD knobs, FFP. $661 at Universial Mania. Love the features. Glass is good enough to get you well past shooting hours.

I have burris xrtii 8-40x50 f class on mine has dial up and holdover capabilitys I realy like it I paid 1150 for mine can now get it for 750 on amazon

Im running a Leupold MK 4 4.5-14x50 Mil Dot. I am a MilDot guy and I am confident with it out to 1000 yds. Its zeroed at 200 yds

Been running a Vortex Viper HS 6-24x50 BDC for years, but I want exposed turrets, so sooner or later, I'm going to swap it to a Viper HS-T 6-24x50 VMR-1 MRAD (like my other LR rigs) and put the HS BDC on my .30-06 AI.
not a fan of the vortex... I have a 6-24x pst (moa) on my 7stw at present... I'm thinking of going back to Elite or getting a Huskemaw or Leupold for it...

I went to the Vortex so I can dial past 500 or so; the glass frankly is decent, but I can't read text as well with it at 200+ as I can with my 6-24 Elite 4000 scopes... It is a very accurate scope though; the last time out I dumped two groups (3 shots each) at 200 that were about .45 moa average using a 140 ab pushed by rl25.

not a fan of the vortex... I have a 6-24x pst (moa) on my 7stw at present... I'm thinking of going back to Elite or getting a Huskemaw or Leupold for it...

I went to the Vortex so I can dial past 500 or so; the glass frankly is decent, but I can't read text as well with it at 200+ as I can with my 6-24 Elite 4000 scopes... It is a very accurate scope though; the last time out I dumped two groups (3 shots each) at 200 that were about .45 moa average using a 140 ab pushed by rl25.

I keep hearing this, but all of mine are clear, even at max magnification... I mean, the glass of the Viper line certainly is not Zeiss, Kahles, or Swaro quality, but nearly impossible to beat for the money. Comparing them next to my Zeiss Conquests, I'd put them right under the Conquest in glass quality. However, I will say I like the turrets, VMR-1 reticle, and 30mm tube of the HS-T better. The only scope I have found that comes close to the Vortex HS-T for the money is the SWFA SS 3-15x42 scopes. They're around the same price as the HS-T, and I'd put them about equal in quality, toughness, strength, and repeatability...Only gripe is I wish they had a 50mm objective, instead of a 42mm.

Over the years I've found that my eyes definitely prefer Swarovski glass although my budget doesn't always allow it. Never tried vortex glass I've looked through them tho in the stores.

As for range the Swarovski brh online ballistic calculator says I should get close to 800 yards with a 160 accubond if it's at 3100fps.

Haven't tried it yet but I'll post updates

Those 160 Accubonds are 1000yd ready "ALL" day! As are the 162gr Amax (That hornady doesn't make ANYMORE!!! Dammit. Luckily I have around 450 left.

Also have some 160 Barnes XLC (blue) ready I'll be curious to see where they fall into the mix on velocity. Might be able to squeak a tad more out of the Swaro brh

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.