Optics for aging eyes

Cool, seems to be the same principle as a power peep on a bow. I've never experienced this except with VX111's. My problem is image quality in low light.
Guys, Looking for advice from you old guys. As we age our eyes change. I've noticed my eyes require better and more expensive scopes with better resolution to see well as I am getting older. I am having a new beanfield rifle built and need to choose a scope. We hunt big fields and the ranges can be pretty far. 900 is not unusual at all. Deer here are hunted hard and nearly nocturnal. Shots always come in poor light, usually just before dark. Have a little cateracts, and don't see as well in poor light as I used to. All that being said, looking for a scope with excellent tracking, 1min wind marks, and really great glass that stands out in class in low light. Needs to top out around 25X. Cost really isn't an issue as much as trying to get the most out of my old eyes, but would like to stay around $3k or so. The options are mind boggling. I do know a Vortex Razor won't cut it anymore so don't go there.
I have the same problem. I have been using a Leupold VX-6HD 4-24, with success. I have used this the last two years on bear, elk, and Oryx, with success. My minimum range on these animals were 275 yards, ranging out to over 600 yards. I did buy two Burris FFP 5-25, that I have not yet tried. Good luck with your search, you're in good company.

Guys, Looking for advice from you old guys. As we age our eyes change. I've noticed my eyes require better and more expensive scopes with better resolution to see well as I am getting older. I am having a new beanfield rifle built and need to choose a scope. We hunt big fields and the ranges can be pretty far. 900 is not unusual at all. Deer here are hunted hard and nearly nocturnal. Shots always come in poor light, usually just before dark. Have a little cateracts, and don't see as well in poor light as I used to. All that being said, looking for a scope with excellent tracking, 1min wind marks, and really great glass that stands out in class in low light. Needs to top out around 25X. Cost really isn't an issue as much as trying to get the most out of my old eyes, but would like to stay around $3k or so. The options are mind boggling. I do know a Vortex Razor won't cut it anymore so don't go there.
i would look at the zeiss conquest 5x25 great light gathering and reasonable ! if you want more try the kahles line !

Hey Orange dust, having experience with Vortex, Leupold Mark 5 HD, Schmidt•Bender PMll and most recently the Zero Compromise 420 .... my vote for best optical quality and everything else you would want is the Zero Compromise ... it's $3700 for your 25 power model. At low light it really shines!

By the way I had "premium" lasik surgery 15 years ago by a well known eye surgeon that charged a LOT for his work and I still don't wear any form of corrective eye wear including contact lenses since then and don't wear reading glasses either and my vision tests at 20/20 year after year. I had found that even quality spectacle lenses reduced available light reaching my eyes by about 10% which was what my current eye doctor says.

If I remember correctly Tiger Woods had 20/10 vision when he was at the height of his career and that gave him a HUGE advantage over his competitors. Now I'm betting a lot of the competitors have lens replacement surgery even at young ages to help with with seeing better.

If you wear glasses then you have no idea what you're missing. Also if you wear sunglasses consider the amber or dark amber polarized lenses for outdoor use. I like my Costas and have several pairs but they come off when I'm hunting and think I might be anywhere near game.

I wear contacts vision is a little better than 2020. In bright light. Low light, heavy clouds, rain, late afternoon not so much

Same with me, 20/15 but, with glasses. The glasses suck, especially in poor light! They catch rain/snow always, sweat in the summer and fog up at the worst possible moment, especially in the winter but, are my best option. I can't wear contacts for much more than an hour... Apparently my eyes require more oxygen than most. Even highly permeable contacts are no good. Funny, I can and have dug weld stag and grinder flakes out of my own eye using the end of a paper book match and at times even a needle point but, I can't keep my eyes open after two hour of wearing contacts!

At 58 and with mild cataracts, better glass is becoming a must! I've recently given away several mid-level scopes that I can no longer see through well enough for my needs.

Getting old has its issues for sure but, it beats the heck out of the alternative! :eek:

Wow, 5 pages already, so I guess you're getting lots of opinions. Here's the route I went for my 71 yr old eyes. You may not have heard of this new scope line. I went with the Revic PMR 428. It has a very smart built-in ballistics calculator, very good glass, and high magnification. All good things for anyone shooting 900 yards. No need to carry a separate ballistics calculator and then go back and forth to calculator and scope. You only need a range finder to input range and a wind input (guess or measured) or use Kentucky windage for a holdoff. Worth a look and considering all you get with this scope, a fair price point. Revic is owned by Gunwerks.com and only sold by them directly to reduce middleman costs, so you won't find it on Amazon, etc.

Last edited:
I'm 64 and have seen some changes in my eyes as well. I just put together a 6.5 284 and mounted a new Konus F30 on it and am really happy with the optics and the price. My eyes are watering more than ever and acquire the target pretty fast with it.

I have had a Leupold 6.5X20X50 LRP since it first came out. It has excellent glass, clarity and light transmission. A friend just order the 8X25X50 after shooting with mine a few times. I also like Zeiss glass but their warranty isn't as good as Leupold.
You said money isn't an issue, why not go for the S&B. They are the number one rated PR scope.

I would recommend getting the X5i Swarovski and never look back. I have used this scope for a few years and it will deliver! Best optics out there.

I started wearing glasses for distance when I was 14, then at about 57 years old my near vision started going. That's when I discovered AREDS2. http://www.preservision.com/Product...ce=google&utm_content=AREDS+2+General+-+Exact. After a couple of months of using it I don't need glasses any more. And it's a lot less expensive than high dollar glass.
Orange Dust...as stated in earlier reply......every one has one... :) :) :)
Just buy one scope of every suggested model....surely you'll find the right one. Every one can't be wrong. ;) ;) ;)

Orange Dust ,in the store and outside is 2 completely different worlds.I always make my comfirmations out in the elements where I am hunting or at least at a long target range.Just a thought,were all getting old but hang in there!
This......total waste of time trying to find a low light, long range scope at close range under artificial lights. In store comparos work good for finding an indoor range scope, not much else.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.