Optics for a mountain rifle...?

I have the Bushnell Elite 2.5 - 16 x 42 on my 6lb 10oz (all up with scope) Rem model 7 7 SAUM
The magnification range is perfect for an all round rifle, but it is heavy at nearly 20oz.

I'm leaning harder towards the two bigger options at this point even though they are definitely heavier.
Between the Vortex and Bushnell, which would you consider to be of higher quality?
The Vortex warranty has me leaning harder in the direction, but Bushnell's mag range is appealing also.
Thoughts?

Adding another option into the mix =)

I'm becoming more and more curious about the Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 XR Turret but can't seem to find any reviews on them. I've read every review on the basic Nikoplex and BDC offerings and they seem to get extremely high marks.
Thoughts?

The Nikon will be right around $150 less than the Vortex for me. Is it worth saving the money or is the Vortex that much better to justify spending the extra cash?

Here's the specs on each of them side-by-side:

Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50XRT - Vortex Viper HSLR 4-16x50FFP
Weight: 20.1oz - 21.4oz\
Length: 14.7'' - 13.7''
Elevation: 40MOA - 75MOA
Reticle: Nikoplex - XLR

I'm going thru the same thing w/ my 300 win. Have a 4.5x14x44mm conquest on it now but want to try a FFP scope w/ open turrets. Seems w/ what the FFP scopes have over SFP scopes, you sacrifice glass quality for the money!

My research has led me to SWFA but have a hard time dropping $600-$700 for a Tasco tactical riffle scope. Love the newer NF 2.5x10x42mm but to drop $1800 for Jap. glass is hard for me to do. I finally found a scope that fits the bill. IOR Valdada 2.5x10x42mm. $1050.00

Illuminated dot
FFP
Less the 14'' long
18ozs
30mm tube
European glass
Battery compartment in side focus turret(out of the way of the ocular)
Very nice mill reticles
tough as a tank

Since you are specifying a mtn rifle, I would think weight would be a major factor. The leupold VXIII's in 2.5x8 and 3X10, @ 8 & 10 oz respectively ( I think ) will fill the bill very nicely. I have two of the 2.5 and a 3. Work extremely well.

Check out the Leupold VX-6 3-18x44, great balance of power range, Awesome glass. Almost perfection for a do it all scope IMO.

The new vortex HS-t is coming in at 20oz ( if I'm not mistaken) 13.5" I think it'd make a nice mtn rifle scope if you're looking to dial! I think the new 2.5 will have capped turrets w/zero stop, would be a good option too. Downside, paying for FFP, don't think it'll be out for awhile. Might be wrong though

The new vortex HS-t is coming in at 20oz ( if I'm not mistaken) 13.5" I think it'd make a nice mtn rifle scope if you're looking to dial! I think the new 2.5 will have capped turrets w/zero stop, would be a good option too. Downside, paying for FFP, don't think it'll be out for awhile. Might be wrong though

I have been eyeballing the HS-T as well but the FFP has a larger share of my interest currently. Do you consider FFP worth the extra buy in?

It's been said Nikon has better glass than Vortex, which has me on the fence over which one is the best option. Would anyone care to share their thoughts on this statement?

One of the BIGGEST points in Vortex's favor is their warranty =)

As you can see I continue to go back and forth on this! (First world problems I guess)

I was just at the Harrisburg sportsmen show and handled quite a few scopes. If money was no cost a swaro z6 would be my choice for a hunting scope. Best glass I ever looked through, and that was with a S&B police marksman side by side. The Zeiss conquest HD glass impressed me, but at much as that impressed the terra disappointed. Meopta makes some good glass in your price range and their meostar glass was good.

Personally I use a vortex pst and would buy another. It's 22 ounces. Right now camera land has a good selection of demo glass from the shot show.

Good luck with your choice.

This is a very good option for a mountain rifle......

The Rudolph V1 4-12x40mm with the T3 reticle

e6991e44a937d7c5ba0f45a04d6f39ee_zps39efc042.jpg

Contact us at: info@ rudolphoptics.com

Thomas,

We are busy signing up Dealers, but in the meantime you can buy directly from us....our warehouse is in Oakfield, New York.
We will ship the product to you.

Regards

Rudolph Optics

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.