Opinions?

Ok question just to learn here. If everyone FL sizes then why does everybody say don't do load work on new unfired brass?
I thought you want your brass to match your chamber then you can work on load work up. But if your FL sizing you just put everything back to new basically. You guys confuse me. Or I am just confusing myself.
I can give you what I have learned.
On another thread I experienced high pressure on brand new Lapua 300 win mag brass with a tried and true safe load which caused no harm but alerted me and I sought folks opinions here on our site.
A friend said to always load a reduced load to fireform your brass to your chamber as the brass will resist conforming to the new status,causing more pressure.I did not know that!
I do now!
Edit to say:I was typing as loonie posted.Sorry loonie,you got it brother!

There are 2 schools of thought on this, me being an advocate of this.
I run Forster honed neck BR FL sizing dies BUT I run a body die as well, have found a bump die that sizes the neck WITHOUT touching the body the most concentric die you can have.
Now the other school sees it as a neck die only, then they use a body die and then another sizing die for the shoulder that touches nothing else.
Have tried them all, including bushings, no longer use bushings cause they change the consistency between the shoulder and neck.
The only part of this new die I don't like are the bushings.

Cheers.

Ok question just to learn here. If everyone FL sizes then why does everybody say don't do load work on new unfired brass?
I thought you want your brass to match your chamber then you can work on load work up. But if your FL sizing you just put everything back to new basically. You guys confuse me. Or I am just confusing myself.
The thing is a FL resizing die doesn't put everything back to virgin specs. It sizes the case just enough to easily chamber the round and bumps the shoulder ( by your adjustment) .002-.003 for long case life. Virgin brass is just that. A one shot deal to never be exactly the same again after being fired, although alot of info can be gathered with virgin brass towards developing a load. JMO

Well put cape cove.
I might add something I have learned,not all brass are created equal.
I have been become used to using R P,Hornady and Winchester brass and very little Lapua brass but quality brass is much harder than what I am used to.Now I am getting ready to fireform some quality 300 win mag Lapua brass with a medium load before I load for groups again.

The thing is a FL resizing die doesn't put everything back to virgin specs. It sizes the case just enough to easily chamber the round and bumps the shoulder ( by your adjustment) .002-.003 for long case life. Virgin brass is just that. A one shot deal to never be exactly the same again after being fired, although alot of info can be gathered with virgin brass towards developing a load. JMO
So if this is the case:

1. What spec is brass manufactured to? SAAMI minimum?
  2. What spec are sizing dies made to?
Seems to me new brass and over the counter sizing dies each have to be made to a certain spec. If so what spec for each? The only variable we have control of is shoulder bump amount and if using bushing dies I suppose e have some control over neck size.

I think I'm gonna pass.
I ordered a set of Redding Competition shell holders for 300 win mag and will use them to set my bump and keep use my redding bushing dies I already have.
I am running out of space anyway.
I have a body die in 300 win mag that I won't be using if the Redding shell holders work as well as I expect they will.A little more space open.
I hear you, I'm starting to stack on top of my stacks 🤦‍♂️

Got any logical reason why FL sized would provide smallest groups possible?
Cases are FL sized to all be "consistent" in sizing and shoulder bump. If your not FL sizing and geting harder bolt lift during a match it's going to hurt you. I dont know of anyone at our club that dont FL size ever time, and 2 inch 5 shot groups @ 1000 yards are shot regularly.

Ok so just got home today from the range.
Here are some numbers I have no clue what to do with or if they mean anything to you guys.
6mm creed
Alpha brass
Used hornady headspace kit. On brass
New unfired brass. 1.551
X1 firing. 1.557
6 thou of growth. What to do now

Ok so how do I keep cbto at or less than 1 thou or .5 thou difference.
I hear that's what makes most consistent es SD and accuracy. Or am I way off??

Reading comprehension is everything...my bad. 🤪

I use expander mandrels to help control neck tension.....Some use expander buttons with excellent results.

Arbor press and lubed necks also are a part of my process but may not be for everyone.

Last edited:
You talking about neck tension or CBTO?Base of cartridge to Ogive of Bullet?
Beluebow is one of our advanced reloaders/shooters and reads between lines better than I do.
Both are great tools for reloaders seeking accuracy