Opinions on NF SHV 5-20x56

cb4128

I have a custom 270 wby that I am trying to figure out what scope to put on it. Want this to be my go to gun for backcountry hunts and want to shoot out to 600-800 yards with it.

The rifle is 7.5 lbs as it sits and don't want to make it too heavy but also want enough scope to reach out there and hit what I want. My preference would be more than 14x, so I'm really looking at this SHV 5-20x56 with the MOAR reticle. Would give me more than enough hold over with the reticle and I also like having Windage holds in the reticle. Has anyone seen, held, or own this model? All I have read about it the 4-14 model. Thanks for your help

Just go 2 on Monday, W/ill reticle they look great clear glass, but they are big and are about 2 lbs.... Going to check ring height today... W/300 WM's and 20 MOAR reticle I should be able to shoot over 800 yds.......without turning dials....
Randy
PM sent

I have the 4-14 SHV on my Cooper 280 AI. The 5-20 SHV on a new 300 WM. I think you would like the scope. But as Woodshop stated they are on the heavy side.

I just bought one for my 6.5 deer rifle here in NZ as I need the dialing option to shoot out to 800. Havnt been out hunting yet but put 2 shots in same hole sighting in then shot 3 birds between 100-180yards so very happy with scope. Its heavier than my old Burris but the weights worth it IMO

I just bought one for my 6.5 deer rifle here in NZ as I need the dialing option to shoot out to 800. Havnt been out hunting yet but put 2 shots in same hole sighting in then shot 3 birds between 100-180yards so very happy with scope. Its heavier than my old Burris but the weights worth it IMO

Been out on 2 hunts now, shot one deer at 180yds, seemed heavy on 1st hunt but used to it on 2nd . Good scope.

For the money I am impressed with my 5x20 SHV. I have limited trigger time on all of the scope brands. I am a leupold mark 4 guy, but leupold reticles suck for us MOA guys.
Just don't compare it to the Night Force what ever that is on the Terminator of the Brozovich men! Wowser!
Like I say for the money I am impressed!

I swap my 5-20x56 SHV with MOAR reticle back and forth between my Anschutz 1416 D HB Thumbhole 22LR and my 338 Edge. I shoot in a local 22LR Marksmen Challenge (Facebook) with our COF running as close as 25 yds and as far a 200 yds. The SHV, with it's ability to adjust focus and parallax down to 25 yds does wonderfully in the match.

I also used it last month when I attended a 1 Mile Milk Jug Challenge which is an event of the Long Range Shooters of Utah (Facebook) group. It served admirably giving me very clear definition of the milk jug at 1 mile. I didn't hit the jug but I did get 3 hits on the 24" steel backer; soooo close, but no cigar!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts