Opinions on 338 Lapua elk load

njones125

Hey guys so I have my first rifle build pretty much figured out. Using my 30-378 Weatherby Mark V action to build a 338 Lapua improved, 40deg shoulder. 1-10 twist 27 1/2" Lilja + brake. Will be my go to hunting rifle for elk, bear, mule deer. Most areas I elk hunt have potential for long range shots but I have also shot elk at 50yds in the timber. I have no experience with either the sierra game kings or Bergers, but I have always been partial to a more conventional hunting bullet. I understand I will have to give up B.C. compared to a more match grade bullet. I hope I can get a load developed that this gun likes and shoots accurately out to 800yds with either the Nos Accubonds or Barnes LRX, Here is my question: If these loads won't group well at say 500+ do any of you guys carry 2 different loads of the same grain? For example use a Barnes from 0-400 and a sierra game king for 400+ (where I think they should perform better at slower velocities.) Am I over thinking this? Would I be better off working as much as it takes to get a more conventional bullet shooting well by trying different loads? I have a Huskemaw scope and will have custom turret built for this gun, if I had it built for a Berger or Sierra would my ballistics be close enough in the -400yd range with the other mentioned bullets? Sorry for the long winded post but as you can probably tell I'm pretty excited about my first custom build and looking forward to it being done this spring and starting to play with it.

I thought about having two different bullets loaded for different ranges. After thinking on it, its pretty impractical. If you have an animal at 50-100 yards, he wont be there long and you wont have much time to get the right round in the chamber to shoot.

I use the 300 gr OTM Hybrid in my 338 Lapua. I have shot two Big Game animals with it so far. An elk at 740 yards and a Coues deer at 550 yards. No issues yet.

Plus, at 50 yards and out, I still don't think that you will have a problem killing an animal with a 300 gr bullet. Its a 300 gr bullet!!!!

Two separate loads are unnecessary unless you hunt in dangerous game country where you might be in need of a solid.

Start with 300 gr Berger's or accubonds. If they don't shoot move to the 250 accubonds or Berger's. If you have a well built rifle one of those bullets will work

I shoot 250's out of my rum and they work great close or far. A 250 with .57 BC going at 2900 fps is more than enough to be accurate and deadly at close and far.

One of my elk hunting areas does have very high grizzly populations, but I won't limit my elk bullet to that. (I can always pack the 44mag on my hip.) Maybe its because I don't have first-hand experience with Bergers, and I am not trying to bash them but I have just heard and read a lot of horror stories about them either penciling or disintegrating and not penetrating shoulders. I believe that any bullet on the market will get the job done with a well placed shot. I have had some very good results with both the Nosler accubond in the 30-378 and Barnes in my 338 win mag. Just looking for opinions from some of you who have first-hand experience. Another question: it is very obvious to me that the 300gr is the most popular round for the 338 lapua, have any of you guys played with bullets in the 225-280gr range and what are your thoughts on them? I will obviously try many different combos once I have my gun but my first and foremost priority will be to build the most ethical effective big game bullet I can that is accurate at long range. I can limit my range if need be but I cant make a really high B.C. bullet work magic if I read the wind wrong, pull a shot, ect.

I packed different bullets for a smaller 325 for years.I have not for my 338 NM 300 otm.Taken game to 850 with it but have shot bull moose and bull elk at 50 yrds.The elk blew fist sized hole exit,one of best blood trails Ive followed and Ive arrowed alot of game. The moose no exit but he went about 3 steps.I have a friend that works at Defience and shoots 300 nab out of his 338 UM, really likes them.I think I might load some up just to try . I hike alot timber grizz country to get to open high areas and dont like some of the things Ive been hearing and also reading on here.Lots of guys shooting 338's around me.We have something like 10 gun manufacturing/smiths in the area I live. I have had personal experience with Barnes penciling and friends to so I dont use them anymore,although I shot quite a few game animals with them with smaller calbers.They where always accurate for me.

I have a AB load and a Barnes LRX load that share the same point of impact at 100.Neve did any further testing with the Barnes. I agree with what was said above, if an animal is ~50 yards away you stand a good chance of giving yourself away while swapping out ammo. That and in the heat of the moment it may be difficult to keep up with drop data with two different loads on top keeping up with which load do you have in the chamber. I just see a large margin for error.

Thanks for the input, most likely go with just one load for hunting. Probably too much hassle otherwise. Another question is this will be my first time loading for an improved, is there a good resource to get some starting points I have searched the web and can't find much, the smith that's doing my build has a ton of experience with these so I'm sure he will be able to point me in the right direction. I appreciate the help and will share my results when I start shooting it this spring.

Kirby has a thread on his 338AX and Reloader 33, lots of good info in there. I can't think of any others off the top of my head but there should be plenty on improved 338Lapua's.

Just witnessed a cow elk shot with 300 OTM from 338 Lapua at 80 yards. Shot was behind shoulder with complete pass through (2x3 exit hole). Prior to this I too had some concerns about the Bergers at close range. I make sure the tips are open.

TRY THE CUSTOM SEARCH.Top right on this site should help you.If you have not had a 338 or a large type one, I have a 340 wby you will be surprised by the knock down.Ive one shot killed alot of game with the 340 and they just dropped in there tracks,that was 225-250 grn.The 300 grn. is a hammer,really way more than you need until the 1000 yrd type.Mine still has 1200 # E at 1400 yrds

We have a 260g Hammer Hunter that is in the mid .7's for bc and will run 3300 to 3400 fps out of your Lapua improved. Our rifle is a 30" barrel. If you have not ordered your barrel yet you may consider a 9" twist. It will handle larger mono metal bullets that are on the horizon.

Steve

I've seen 4 cow elk killed with the 300 grain Berger VLD hunting bullet and all were one shot kills between 350-650 yards. Large exits lots of damage, at 50 yds I'm sure it would be devastating.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.