Opinions/advice on my barrel selection

AKFLshooter

Well, after much thought and research this is what I'm thinking for the barrel on my 270 wsm build:

Lilja stainless
Length: 26" fluted
Contour: #6 standard (approx .750" diameter at the muzzle)
Twist: 1 in 9
Grooves: 6

I plan on running Matrix VLD hunting bullets in 165 or 175 grains, and possibly the Berger 170 grainers once they're available. The longer heavier bullets is why I decided on the faster twist and 6 grooves.

The rifle will be used for both bench/target and hunting purposes. Does anyone have any input or suggestions they would like to offer before I go forward with the order? This is my first build and I am fairly new to the long range/accuracy world so any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
You won't be disappointed! I have a Lilja barrel for my .270 AI (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/), except mine is 3-groove, 1:8, and 30". I am still fire-forming to AI but am very please thus far.

I addition with .270 AI owners (some of which are LRH members), I consulted heavily with my gunsmith, Dan Lilja, and Marshal Ambrose (Matrix) before committing on my project.

2012-10-07_09-56-13_94-1.jpg

Good luck!

Ed

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.