Opinions/advice on my barrel selection

AKFLshooter

Well, after much thought and research this is what I'm thinking for the barrel on my 270 wsm build:

Lilja stainless
Length: 26" fluted
Contour: #6 standard (approx .750" diameter at the muzzle)
Twist: 1 in 9
Grooves: 6

I plan on running Matrix VLD hunting bullets in 165 or 175 grains, and possibly the Berger 170 grainers once they're available. The longer heavier bullets is why I decided on the faster twist and 6 grooves.

The rifle will be used for both bench/target and hunting purposes. Does anyone have any input or suggestions they would like to offer before I go forward with the order? This is my first build and I am fairly new to the long range/accuracy world so any input is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
You won't be disappointed! I have a Lilja barrel for my .270 AI (http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/), except mine is 3-groove, 1:8, and 30". I am still fire-forming to AI but am very please thus far.

I addition with .270 AI owners (some of which are LRH members), I consulted heavily with my gunsmith, Dan Lilja, and Marshal Ambrose (Matrix) before committing on my project.

Good luck!

Ed

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.