Opinion on McMillan Stocks

UK varminter

I wouldn't change gunsmiths just because he has an opinion on McMillan gunstocks, if he builds accurate long range rifles. Maybe he had problems with McMillan stocks. A good laminate wood stock is hard to beat.

Dan

UK Varminter.
I have recently finished a 22-250AI based on a Tikka 595 with Border Stainless Barrel and bedded it myself in a Mcmillan Sako Varmint stock. I ordered this myself from the factory and spoke via e-mail to Kelly Mcmillan on several occasions, to answer a few points:
1, Mcmillan are the best stocks you will get, a close second is the HS stock range - which I have used also.
2, Mcmillan are very customer orientated and will strive to do what you ask, they are easy to work ie pillar bed and glass bed. I have done the work on mine and have limited gunsmithing skill, my rifle will regularly give .325 inch at 100 meters.
3, any competant gunsmith, especially that one based in Rugby will get you one and should do what you require if it is possible.
Hope this helps, AM
grin.gif

Thanks for the replies guys.

Dan, I totally agree with your sentiments. In a free society everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that. What I don't respect is the rude and dismissive way I was treated by this particular'Smith.

As D-Mon and Andy point out there is plenty more good gunsmiths in the UK and one of them will get my business (D-mon, are you on Commission from Norman Clark-lol). The British gun trade has been going through a tough time ever since Dunblane and will probably never fully recover. Thankfully Guys like this are very few and far between or else the future would look even more bleak.

No I am not, and you can see that I am not the only one suggesting him. Norman is just 25 min away from my place.And his jobs on rifles is outstanding + he has a very big experience about rifle accuracy.
But I am sure you can find some other gunsmiths who can do a good job on rifles.Have you tried Callum Fergusson in Scotland? I think his web site is www.precisionrifleservices.com or something alike.
See you later.
ND

UK Varminter,
I am not on commision either, in fact Mr Clark hasn't done any work for me ,,,yet. I have friends who have and the work he does is beyond reproach. My Tikka was rebarrelled by Peter Jackson in Parton who also does excellent work. He may be closer to home for you, but I don't know if he is taking on work this year - I made an enquiry to him last month and there was no chance of anything being done this year.
Regards AM

McMillan all the way!!! HS stocks IMO suck, last two were crooked, v-blocks were not square with the stocks. The last HS was a PRO Tactical, $360, v-block not square, set in stock to low in front. The stock from the action to the forearm was bowed like a bannana.

My McMillan, Parker Hale, and benchrest stock are perfect.

I like the look and feel of the HS but, will never own another one.

Good luck, Vern

I should let you all know that Mcmillan makes a terrible stock, not worthy of the glass fiber it's made from. To do all of you a favor, you may send any new stock you have bought to me for proper disposal - just this once.

What did the smith suggest you stock your rifle with. If you're building some sort of ultra light hunting rifle he may have a point...

[ 10-29-2003: Message edited by: Old Man ]

D-man, Andy, I was only joking about the commission, I know Norman Clark is good and I intend to give him a 'phone.

To answer Old Man's query, the Gunsmith in question was comparing the Mcmillan with either HS or Choate both of which he sells.
wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.