Opinion on Savage 10 FCP

2guns

I picked up one of these today in 308. Cleaned and mounted a Nikon prostaff 7 on until I can get something else. Only flaw I see is bolt is a little rough and takes a little force to pick up bullets chambering from the magazine. Hope that loosens up in time. Fluted barrel and threaded. Got a real good deal on it new. Any advise or pros and cons on this rifle. Not even sure what I'm going to use it for yet. May put a brake on it and let wife bang away at the range. Reloade for a milspec so it will be cheaper to shoot than factory ammo. Anyone own one of these and if so how did it perform.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 160
I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor that I bought to drop in a chassis for LR target shooting and it's shoots better than I can in the accustock in came in. Sub-MOA out to 500 all day with handloads (farthest I've had a chance to take). The only two potential issues are a weak extractor and the factory Mag. The Mag is only 9 rounds despite the specs and takes a little finesse to seat.

Should be a blast banging steel with.

I picked up one of these today in 308. Cleaned and mounted a Nikon prostaff 7 on until I can get something else. Only flaw I see is bolt is a little rough and takes a little force to pick up bullets chambering from the magazine. Hope that loosens up in time. Fluted barrel and threaded. Got a real good deal on it new. Any advise or pros and cons on this rifle. Not even sure what I'm going to use it for yet. May put a brake on it and let wife bang away at the range. Reloade for a milspec so it will be cheaper to shoot than factory ammo. Anyone own one of these and if so how did it perform.

Let me save ya the embarrassment and just send it to me. I know someone will say, "Use it for a tomato stake and buy a Remington!" Or some other brand. You sir have a platform that is easy to tune with a few hand tools and bolt on parts to make a world class shooter. Any questions PM me. That gun will shoot sub 1/4" groups if your up to it and hand load. I know it will also shoot many different factory loads sub MOA. I've built off of Savage and owned savage for almost ten years. Sold a Remington to buy another savage.

I'm by far embarrassed. I do handload for it and hope to get to shoot over the holidays. Only big issue I've seen so far is chamfering out of the magazine is scratching the crap out of my brass.

I'm by far embarrassed. I do handload for it and hope to get to shoot over the holidays. Only big issue I've seen so far is chamfering out of the magazine is scratching the crap out of my brass.

I had the same problems with JP Enterprise magazines. There were some burrs on the underside of the mag lips. Take some emery cloth and sand the bits off. Don't sand anymore then necessary.

What grit did you use? It's the factory 10 round and I'm going to Cabellas Saturday and pick up a 4 round. I shoot a lot off Uncle Buds bull bag. Long mags just get in the way. Will just be single feeding doing some ladder tests.

What grit did you use? It's the factory 10 round and I'm going to Cabellas Saturday and pick up a 4 round. I shoot a lot off Uncle Buds bull bag. Long mags just get in the way. Will just be single feeding doing some ladder tests.

I used all I had at the time. 150grit for my rotary palm sander. Worked though (w/o the sander!:D). Go easy with the sanding.

I took my magazine to cabelas and they couldn't get it to even lock in on their rifle. I bought the 4 round mag and it fits like a glove. Going to contact Savage after the 4th and hope they will send me a new 10 round. It's what came with the rifle and it's only s few weeks since I bought it.

Claws on magazine were crushed just a little in shipping. Took needle nose and opened just a little bit and brass no longer scratches up and feeds great now. Got to put about 40 rounds through it last weekend and groups were less than an inch but .825 was my best. Hoping rifle is still breaking in some. Did have a few 3 round groups with 2 touching and the third would open the groups up. May have to go back and do some ladder tests. I was using same loads that my 700 milspec eat like candy. All in all its a good rifle. Needs better glass than I'm using at the moment. All in due time. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.