Open sights. yes or no

....Have seen hunters pulling a rifle out of a rifle scabbard on a horse, get the bolt handle hung up & drop the rifle 4' to the ground.........

Horses have rendered all manner of firearms unusable, sights or not.

The bigger issue is rendering all manner of hunter's inoperable. I've had a day or two I thought someone would have to knock me off at the end of the day.

.....Surely open to debate, but my logic is that I have a far greater chance of breaking a bone, then a well mounted scope.
Safety first, protect your rifle..... a close second! IMO...

Trashed my back on the only patch of ice in BC one trip. A spectacular full pack crash, but I saved the rifle.

Nothing that can't be done or have done. I keep it simple an proven. Do not have a lot of money. Call it old school or call it being smart with what I have. Patience and perseverance seem to work for me. Hunted in high country for years and tried to make a job out of it. Finally smelled the huckleberries, elk hunting became fun and somewhat simpler.

my older Remington 725 in .280 has a redfield receiver sight(adds only a few oz) mounted under the scope(not touching the scope in its lowered position) if needed the receiver sight can be raised to my 100 yard zero with the scope removed.

Attachments

• DSCN1485 (2).JPG
    DSCN1485 (2).JPG
    939.7 KB · Views: 161
  • DSCN1484 (2).JPG
    DSCN1484 (2).JPG
    1 MB · Views: 156
  • DSCN1487 (2).JPG
    DSCN1487 (2).JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I have three Safari rifles, a Winchester M70 Safari Classic 416 Rem Mag, a Winchester Safari Classic 375 H&H Mag and a Mauser 98 375 H&H Mag. All three ware a Leupold lower power variable scope, Leupold quick release rings and mounts but, also have heavy-duty hooded front sights and sighted then pinned, rear sights. I have a second scope, a small, lite Leupold VX-3 1-5x20mm backup scope, in Leupold quick release rings, already sighted in at 100 yards, for each of these rifles. These backup scopes, with rings installed weigh less than 1 lbs. and I always care one in a hard case when I'm packing in for more than a days hunt. Still, in the field it is a great feeling to know that should my optics fail or get damaged, or conditions such as heavy rain/sleet or body steam condensate inhibit use of my scope, I can very quickly and confidently revert back to my iron sights.

Many of my other hunting rifles have iron sights as well. All my iron sights, except for on my safari rifles, are sighted in at 200 yards. Personally, I'm more likely to buy a hunting rifle if it has good open sights.

Yes, I have a lot of rifles without iron sights and yes, I do hunt with them but, those only get used when I have one of my proven backup rifles close by. I carry a second, sometimes even a third rifle as a backup on hunts, whenever possible. I certainly have not lack of rifles and caliber/cartridges to choose from.

My eyes may not be what they used to be but, I can still kill a deer or a coyote with iron sights from a halfway decent rest or bipod, in most conditions, out to 200+ yards.

I have a 1-4x Leupold European I can see front sights on shorter barreled rifles.

That is very reason that I rarely use my Leupold 1.25-4x scope anymore. I still like my VX-3 1.5-5x20mm scopes okay but, for the last 25 years I've found myself only buying the now discontinued VX-3 1.75-6x32mm for my low power needs, precisely because that is the lowest power that most of my barrels/front sights don't come into view enought to distract from my intended target. I've killed plenty of hogs running in the thick, at under 15 yards with my Leupold VX-3 1.75-6x32mm set on 1.75 power. I ALWAYS carry my rifles with their scopes set at the lowest power! Always! If I dial up the power, it is with reticle on game and I dial it back down immediately after the animal is down or the shot has pasted. When in the field, I find myself checking that the power ring is all the way at the lowest setting often, just in case...

I have two rifles that still have open sight's, both have knock off rings. Model 70 in 375h&h and a 760 rem in 30-06. Everything else has no provisions for open sights. If i had to i guess i would use the "paintball gun" shot

It is obvious most are aware of the vulnerability of scopes. Also most recognize the importance of open sights or a back up scope. Modern quick release scope rings allow for a quick scope change if the primary scope is damaged. I see this as a necessary part of hunting to prevent a disastrous day hunting. I absolutely prefer a scope but I also understand the reality of what can go wrong . I can't imagine a hunter paying thousands of dollars for an out of state hunt & not being prepared in case of a scope failure.

For giggles and grins, I soldered on a set of sights at a 45deg (like the off set AR15 sights) on a old Mauser 6.5x55 sporter before the metal was refinished. I used it a few times out hunting, just roll the rifle for open sights......It worked really good, but man it screwed with the classic lines of a bolt action! :D I removed them prior to the metal getting refinished and soldered them on square......I figured if I ever tried selling it NO Sane person would have bought it.....Wish I had taken a picture of it! I guess for me it depends on what the purpose of the rife is, but overall, I prefer to have open sight as a back up option! Maybe belt and suspenders, but for as little time as I get out hunting now a days, I want a back up plan!

I dont mind iron sights if they are on the rifle. I don't do over under rings anymore though like I used to if the rifle had both. The scope gets way too high.

My most recent rifle is a CZ550 full stock with iron sights. I added a scope and used Alaska Arms 1/4 turn quick release rings so I can get the scope off ASAP if I need to.

I dont do backpack hunts so i have backup rifles in the truck or camp typically if I knock a scope.

I have 2 rifles with Iron sights. A rem. 78 with front and rear sights Zeroed in place and 1.5X5 scope added.
To me the old Sako setup is great. If the scope goes bad, Just loosen 2 screws and remove the scope. Pull the Zeroed in rear peep site out of your pack and slide it on the rear scope dovetail. Back to hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.