One of THOSE Days

It's one thing to forget bringing equipment for hunting or going to the range.
How about going to the range and making a mistake.
NOT ME!
I went to the range with my FIL and his friend to sight in our ML .50 cal for Primitive Weapon Deer Season.
We were shooting at 2'x3' plywood targets at 100 yds. Well let's just say that "Harry" was shooting a station down from me. I heard a louder than usual noise when Harry fired. I looked down range and there was only HALF of Harry's 2'x3' target.
We were puzzled and thought did the 300 gr .50 cal bullet blow the target in half???
We walked down to the target to see it and found a almost clean cut in half paper target and plywood.
Lying next to the cut plywood was an aluminum rod about 2' in length.

When we went back to our benches and ML rifles, Harry said "Hey does anyone see my RamRod"?

When my first born got old enough to hunt western states with me part of the excitement and build up was making a gear list and checking it twice. As the years went on and all 4 kids were with, the same list was used and modified as needed. I don't recall anyone ever missing something. This year I found that the primary and back-up range finders, while on the list, STILL failed to make the trip. Now there is a back-up to the back-up. Fortunately I discovered my effup on scout time when I went to verify zero 2 days before season start.

It's one thing to forget bringing equipment for hunting or going to the range.
How about going to the range and making a mistake.
NOT ME!
I went to the range with my FIL and his friend to sight in our ML .50 cal for Primitive Weapon Deer Season.
We were shooting at 2'x3' plywood targets at 100 yds. Well let's just say that "Harry" was shooting a station down from me. I heard a louder than usual noise when Harry fired. I looked down range and there was only HALF of Harry's 2'x3' target.
We were puzzled and thought did the 300 gr .50 cal bullet blow the target in half???
We walked down to the target to see it and found a almost clean cut in half paper target and plywood.
Lying next to the cut plywood was an aluminum rod about 2' in length.

When we went back to our benches and ML rifles, Harry said "Hey does anyone see my RamRod"?
My brother in law shot his ramrod into the next county. It was on target and left a long slash thru it. It's now framed and mounted by me in his home office.
Could not find the ramrod. The nice scope cut on his nose and eyebrow was priceless too.

You could have traveled to Montana to hunt and forget the custom ammo for your 280 AI. Back in Elmore county Alabama. Very hard stuff to find in eastern Montana. But someone paid out the wazoo for shipping to get it there in 48 hours. Pretty sure he's still paying back his wife for the trouble, she had to leave work to rush home find the right ammo, which she had no idea about, then overnight UPS. 😂

Headed to my club range around noon today to test some 196 HH in my 300WM and 195 Bergers in my 280 Ackley. After a scenic 20 mile drive on a warm afternoon, I got everything set up when I realized I forgot to bring paper targets. After a search of the trash receptacles failed to turn up anything useable, I packed up the truck and made the 5 mile drive to the nearest hardware store. Happy that I had salvaged my day, I unloaded all the gear and hung targets only to discover I had forgotten my 300WM ammo. Expletives spewed forth but not one to be denied, I pulled out the 280AI only to find the bolt missing. You guessed correctly if you guessed It was sitting 20 miles away on my bench alongside the targets and 300WM ammo. Admitting defeat and having nothing else to shoot, I drove t9 the nearest bar and commenced turning my frown upside down. There's always tomorrow.
Most of us have done that. It has been a while for me, though, as I have made several adjustments throughout the years to help me avoid this type of situation. For instance, I have a range bag and targets in my truck. Each rifle has ammo in the case, and I do my prep time the night before. Heck, sometimes, the bar scene is best, defeated or not. 😍 👍 😇

Headed to my club range around noon today to test some 196 HH in my 300WM and 195 Bergers in my 280 Ackley. After a scenic 20 mile drive on a warm afternoon, I got everything set up when I realized I forgot to bring paper targets. After a search of the trash receptacles failed to turn up anything useable, I packed up the truck and made the 5 mile drive to the nearest hardware store. Happy that I had salvaged my day, I unloaded all the gear and hung targets only to discover I had forgotten my 300WM ammo. Expletives spewed forth but not one to be denied, I pulled out the 280AI only to find the bolt missing. You guessed correctly if you guessed It was sitting 20 miles away on my bench alongside the targets and 300WM ammo. Admitting defeat and having nothing else to shoot, I drove t9 the nearest bar and commenced turning my frown upside down. There's always tomorrow.
Did you find your glasses that were on top of your head?

I was at the range about 6 months ago. Got all setup. No eye glasses, could've sworn I had them at the house when packing up. Ok, I can get by without them. Range rules and common sense require eye protection though while shooting. Walked up to the Range Master and asked, " do you have any eye protection I could borrow as I forgot my glasses". He reached up and picked them off my hat on top of my head!

Last edited: