For those of you "drop chart guys"

Nikolakangrga

I was thinking of the idea of taping a drop chart to my stock for those quick adjustments in the field. Now my question,

The angle of the shot changes the POI. correct? Where I hunt It looks very close to elk or bear country. All mountains and valleys. The elevations are not TOO drastic though. I believe the lowest part of the ranch is around 500ft and the highest being around 1700ft. So how do your guys set up your drop charts? How do you compensate for the angle of the shot? Iam assuming your drop charts dont have the "every case scenario" printed out on it.

Thanks guys
Nick

My suggestion,
Set it for 1000 feet.
As for angle shoots...set it for 0 caint and then it's up to you to find the cosines angle and take off the dope you have to.

It's usually for quick reference, if it's that tough of a shot and you do not have time to make the proper corrections, pass on the shot.

Just my .02

I set my chart up for an average of the elevation I will be hunting. I include wind for 5, 10, and 15 mph.. For angle I use an ACI and punch the cosine into a calculator then adjust the dope from my chart.

I mostly use a ballistics app on my phone now since I can input actual environmental data at the time of the shot. I still have my hard copy chart though........... batteries die at worst times:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts