• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED ONE of the baddest 338 Allen Magnums on the planet for sale...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, This old girl has served me very well but for the past couple years she just set on the safe. Many of you that know me and have been around for several years may recognize this big girl, Its none other then Black Sunshine. I say old girl because she is 5 years old but her life has consisted of going from the safe, to the hard case to the bench and then back to the case and then safe, pretty well all is in new condition.

This is my personal heavy rifle which in 2007 make the longest varmint kill of the year with a rock chuck kill at 2370 yards as well as 11 kills total that year at ranged over 1000 yards. Including 3 over 2000 yards. The original barrel was a 40" straight cylinder making the rifle EXTREMELY heavy, really a two man set up operation.

I shot the throat out of that barrel, then set the barrel back 4" and rechambered and put another 600 rounds down that barrel before it started to go again. When that happened I called up Dan Lilja and ordered a Heavy straight taper stainless, heavy fluted barrel, 36" finish length, 1-10 twist. This took 8 lbs off the finished rifle weight which is currently around 50 lbs.

I fitted the new barrel this summer and have only accuracy tested it with my standard load which easily showed the rifle is capable of 1/2 moa accuracy potential. Very easy to shoot, and no muzzle brake blast!! Not needed with the weight of this rig. So why sell, I just do not have the time anymore to use the rifle like I would like to and I would much rather see a member of LRH have some fun with her then do nothing but sit in the safe. To much rifle to just sit and look at!!!

Here is the parts list:

BAT 2"x10" single shot receiver(stainless steel)
Jewell trigger with bottom safety
Lilja 1.750" shank, heavy straight taper
Heavy Flutes
36" finish length, 1-10 twist
Bead Blast matte finish on barrel
McMillan 50LBR stock, 50% black 50% red w/ decelerator recoil pad
Stainless steel pillar bedding
Metal ADL trigger guard
40 MOA rail base
IOR 35mm Tactical rings
IOR 9-36x56mm with M8 reticle

P8090402.jpg

P8090403.jpg

Now this is a HEAVY rifle. If you want a packing rifle, do not even think about this one but if your in the market for a heavy rifle in the most potent 338 caliber on the market built for one purpose, extreme range shooting, this one is for you. There is only one other 338 AM that is heavier then this rifle and that one lives in Oklahoma!!!

I am selling this rifle as a turn key package including:

Custom loading die set
50 rounds of formed brass
Cabelas 62" bulletproof aluminum hard case
Rifle w/ scope mounted
Load data
And of course my full backing of the rifle

Asking $7000 for the complete package shipped to your FFL in the lower 48.

If you want the rifle but not the optic package, asking $5500 for the package other then optics. Only thing that will be different is that I will be bead blast matte finishing the bolt handle as there are some wear marks through the original teflon coating and want to clean that up.

First come first serve. Here is a chance at ONE of the most impressive 338 Allen Magnum on the planet!!!

i will take it IF you can explain to my wife why i need it and convince her not to leave. IF you can do that send me your mailing address!!

i will take it IF you can explain to my wife why i need it and convince her not to leave. IF you can do that send me your mailing address!!

Tell her that you won the rifle and had to pay 7K for shipping and insurance.:)

Sorry guys, can not help with the wife department. For some reason, gunsmiths are hated by wives for the most part. It seems like THEY believe that we "talk" their husbands into spending money...... LOL

Kirby,

I cant wait. Just in time to get it all lined for the season.

I think we should start a thread for the best lines to give our wives. Just to help aid other LRH's in talking thier wives into a new rifle........ if nothing else it could be very entertaining

Vince

Alright boys, I will tease you a bit, I will take $500 off. Thats $5000 for the rifle, dies, brass, hard case and shipping or $6500 for all that plus $1800 IOR scope mounted on the rail.

The 338 Allen Magnum is simply a 408 Chey Tac parent case, necked down to 338 caliber, shoulder location moved forward roughly 80 thou and then shoulder angle increased and body taper reduced to minimum that will still allow good extraction with high pressure loads.

Here are some numbers to compare the 338 Allen Magnum to other chamberings.

These are with 30" barrels and 300 gr SMK all loaded to average top end loads:

338 RUM.......................2750 fps
338 Edge.......................2850 fps
338 Lapua.....................2850 fps
338-378 Wby.................2950 fps
338 Allen Xpress.............2950 fps

338 Allen Magnum(32" barrel length).........3300 fps

Now these are average numbers, some will get more velocity then this sometimes because of faster barrels but mostly because they run the pressures to higher levels. For instance, my 338 Allen Xpress will break 3000 fps with a 30" barrel and 300 gr SMK if you run the pressures up. Likewise, I have seen some load the Edge and Lapua up to 2950 fps. In my experience, these velocities are to high for MOST rifles in these chamberings.

To the same point, my 338 Allen Magnum can also produce more velocity. In fact I have serveral customers here on LRH that are pushing 3400 fps with acceptable brass life so read the numbers above as averages and not set in stone.

I offer fully formed brass for my 338 Allen Magnum and also loading dies and load data. Simply put, its no different to load for then any other high performance commerically offered magnum chambering, JUST ALOT MORE PERFORMANCE.

338Edge338Lapua338AllenXpress338All.jpg

Here is pic showing some of these rounds. Left to right: 338 Edge w/ 300 gr SMK, 338 Lapua w/ 300 gr SMK, 338 Allen Xpress w/ 300 gr SMK and 338 Allen Magnum w/ prototype 265 gr Aluminum tipped Rebated boat tail.

Hope this is enough information for you on the 338 AM, if you have more questions feel free to ask.

Kirby that is pretty sweet. I have a 338 km in the works and nearing completion. It is my first custom amd my first true long range rifle. Maybe when I out grow my Lapua I will get in touch with you ha ha. Thanks for the info.