One Gun?

Thank you, Sir! It is my honor to serve this great nation. We are a multi-generation/multi-military service family. Both my sons (USAF and USMC) also served. However, only my oldest (USAF) is currently serving. I am thankful for their service; my wife and I did not expect them to serve - they did it on their own.

Amen to all the blessings!

Ed
I had a great uncle who fought in WWII in the 82nd Airborne and jumped in Normandy, Belgium ( Battle of Bulge) and marched across the country on foot fighting the whole time to free concentration camps.
Upon his return… the only thing he ever said about the war was "No human being should ever have to see or experience that again"

You are all my heroes!

Obviously an impossible question but.....
I have a fair collection of interesting rifles.
I HAVE a VERY good 30-06....
Do i "need" a new/different ONE GUN for that potential short notice go to the remotes big game hunt? I.E. short notice fill in for elk/moose to prime area.
Im good to 500yds.
Thinking a 7mm Rem or 300 Win?
Love the STW but looking at availability of factory ammo.
Heavy for caliber bullet guy, not especially susceptible to recoil but a 7 does kick less than a 300....and of course 300 hits harder on the downrange end.
Thoughts?
So I gotta be the odd guy out . The 45/70 case will reload for a long time unless your chamber is sized for a thermos bottle . Nothing walks away from big bullets in the right spot .

I am more than semi-retirement age. Heck, I could even take money out of my 401K and not pay penalties now.
But I have actually expanded my collection, not consolidated it. Honestly, I need more time, less guns probably, but need to work more years.

If I were forced to go with gun of those I own, it would be my M1A, loaded model, with stainless National match bbl and trigger, topped with Swaro 5-25 Z5. It holds zero, even when parked in the safe. It will shoot MOA with factory Fed 168 gr Gold Medals. It will eat anything other than a round nose lead tipped hunting round. It will shoot somewhere close to 1.75-2.0 MOA with a lot of the cheaper stuff available. Fairly weather resistant, of course no gun is truly weather proof. Thousands of rounds through it, it just goes. The caliber is a little light for hunting some stuff, maybe, but given the availability of 7.62 and .308, it would not be a bad gun for SHTF (which I hope it never does, but then you never know).

To clarify, "If I were forced to go with ONE gun of those I own..."
Also, only bbl is stainless, trigger is not. But I believe the "Loaded" M1A has every feature of National match other than glass bedding.
The back up iron sights are very good, though with my old eyes, I need a scope...

Obviously an impossible question but.....
I have a fair collection of interesting rifles.
I HAVE a VERY good 30-06....
Do i "need" a new/different ONE GUN for that potential short notice go to the remotes big game hunt? I.E. short notice fill in for elk/moose to prime area.
Im good to 500yds.
Thinking a 7mm Rem or 300 Win?
Love the STW but looking at availability of factory ammo.
Heavy for caliber bullet guy, not especially susceptible to recoil but a 7 does kick less than a 300....and of course 300 hits harder on the downrange end.
Thoughts?
06 with todays bullets will do all most will ever need out to 500+ depending on game size. 300 and others will just be better the further out you get on game. The real question is how far do you want to shoot game? The person who knows one gun well....very well, will usually be the most accurate shooter also....

When I read
These "Gunaholic Anonymous" meetings are worthless!
Now I want an old 30-06 to play with!
Maybe,the 30-06 may become the latest and greatest......Hornady could re-market it ,call it "30 -6.8 Prcmoor",make it ,they will come.
Believe or not ,most folks I used to hunt with here,some I still do.own very few guns,they do not look at forums or reload. Some bought the 6.5CM,yes "tons of ammo for 6,5 cm",but 65cm ammo is like beer selection ,which one and they may be out of your flavor.Fair amount here have migrated back to 25-06 ,270,7-08 &7mm and 300 mags, 270 win in my old group.Remington 270 win core-loks are bought by the case,here.They say they still get Remington 270win,I thought it was no longer in production. I reload,never look,Core loks worked very well.Fair amount of 30-06,but it is conidered the "kicker, myaswell git a 300" Lot of these 270win folks go on western hunts,most are one and done shooters,they could spend a little more on a scope.My father said the 30-06 is the greatest of time and your left handed,Bingo ,still got it.
East coast to west coast,recoil wise, coyotes to elk ,young folk,women ,old fellows slowing down in calibers/reloading,of the shelf boring variety 130 grainers. I don't hunt with one, 270 win,...................................................I think a25 by prc/284/saum or 257weatherby fast twist more better.na, 280ai more better.na, 7mag more better,dam, pass the Lays chips. 6.5 wsm looks interesting.

reaching quasi-retirement age "should" be leaning out the rifles and consolidating the calibers.
I have been attempting to lean out or "more carefully curate" my collection. My reasoning is space related and organization related. For rifles I whittled it down to .22 caliber, .264 caliber, .308 Caliber and .338 caliber. For shotguns 12 gauge and 20 gauge. I like to have a primary and backup gun for each cartridge. This boils down to a 36 gun safe with space enough for scoped rifles and less cleaning supplies and handloading equipment to keep a tidy bench. I have enough gun to hunt everything I hunt (small game, big game, upland and waterfowl/turkey) without having things I don't "need".

It's very easy for me to justify in my own mind why I "need" a certain gun I have become momentarily enamored with, but it's hard for me to justify keeping it once it's covered in dust and cobwebs.

reaching quasi-retirement age "should" be leaning out the rifles and consolidating the calibers.
I'm kinda looking at it the other way. Retirement is a couple years out, so right now I'm adding every caliber I think I might ever want. I'll thin the herd as I go through retirement. I told my wife that I opened a supplemental retirement savings account. 😇