One caliber, two chamberings to cover everything hunting

I understand your thinking because I have done this myself in many calibres.
I have 4 22 cartridges on 2 actions, 222 & 222RemMag on Sako Vixen L461 switch barrel and 22-250, 22-250AI & 6.5x47 on REM 700 VSSF II action switch barrel.
I have 2 rifles running 3 338 cartridges, some are double ups, but have 338-06, 338WM (3) & 338-416 Rigby Improved, 340 Weatherby, had a 338Edge too, but no more.
I have several rifles in 30 cal, running 30-30, 300WM (5), 300 Weatherby, 300RUM & 300-416 Rigby Improved prototype barrel.
I also have multiple 264 cartridges, 6.5x47, 260AI, 264WM & a barrel set aside for 6.5-300 Weatherby I haven't finished yet.
If push came to shove, I probably could do all with 30 cal, but 264 would do it all too.

Cheers.

If only it were that simple. In fact, I live in a land that uses both systems in arbitrary and inconsistent ways.

For example, the country grid roads I grew up on are laid out in miles, one or two mile blocks. So when I'm driving on gravel I only think in miles, kilometres are gibberish. But the paved highways have signs all in kilometres indicating distance…when I'm driving on asphalt I think in kilometres and if someone tells me how many miles away it is I have to mentally convert that to kilometres to make sense of it.

If I'm outside I think of temperature in degrees Celcius, Fahrenheit means nothing. If I'm setting the thermostat inside I think in Fahrenheit cuz that's what the thermostat measures in. Same with cooking. 350 Fahrenheit is English. 176 celcius is stupid 🤣

What really l can't think in is metres and centimetres. I can't stand that my drivers licence gives my height in cm. I'm five foot eleven. And I weigh things in pounds not kilograms UNLESS it's deli meat 🤣🤣
That's to funny. Exactly how I think as well.

My dad is 73. My grandfather (the one I'm referring to is my mom's father, never knew my paternal grandfather as he died when I was 3) has been gone for a while now.

I'm 70 (for a few more months).😉 My oldest grandkid is 33 (a granddaughter) has 2 children! My step granddaughter has 3 kids! So…..I guess that I have 5 great grandkids!

I think that I have far more years behind me than ahead! 😁 memtb

After my components thread and some members relaying that staying with a couple of calibers to simply component searches and purchases.

Is it plausible to choose one caliber and two or three chamberings to cover 100% of your hunting?

Full transparency, I have had several manbuns, hard to argue with cheap factory ammo, easy recoil and impressive accuracy over a broad range of factory offerings. Makes it easy for a parent to get a kiddo behind the rifle and develop some confidence.

I got curious about the 6.5 PRC, found a nice used X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed and while bedding the rifle and picatinny rail, I got to wondering about the subject of a single caliber covering all the bases.

Honestly, I could cover 95% of my hunting with a 22 Creedmoor, possibly a 223.

I got out my Gun Gack and a few other manuals and thought, the 6.5/.264 might be the perfect choice for the majority of hunters.

Some of the big 6.5 whizzums, like the 264 WM or 26 Nosler, 6.5/300 Weatherby, 6.5-280 Ackley, would offer a lot for bigger animals and then you could cover everything from varmints up to and including elk(within reason) with a Creedmoor. A Grendel would get you varmint, Prairie dogs and medium bodied Whitetail.

I said all that to ask, if you had to choose one caliber and two or three chamberings, what would you choose? What components would you choose to be able to use them in both or all three (if possible).

As much as I love my 280 Ackley, I honestly think a 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6.5-280 Ackley would cover everything I ever plan to chase.

I also know that there are plenty of y'all that use one cartridge for everything?

Have fun, but I am curious to see the selections and thought process/reasoning behind the choices.
Be specific about the range of snimals you want to hunt. I can't see myself going after a Grizzly or Brown Bear with a 6.5 regardless of the case used.

If only it were that simple. In fact, I live in a land that uses both systems in arbitrary and inconsistent ways.

For example, the country grid roads I grew up on are laid out in miles, one or two mile blocks. So when I'm driving on gravel I only think in miles, kilometres are gibberish. But the paved highways have signs all in kilometres indicating distance…when I'm driving on asphalt I think in kilometres and if someone tells me how many miles away it is I have to mentally convert that to kilometres to make sense of it.

If I'm outside I think of temperature in degrees Celcius, Fahrenheit means nothing. If I'm setting the thermostat inside I think in Fahrenheit cuz that's what the thermostat measures in. Same with cooking. 350 Fahrenheit is English. 176 celcius is stupid 🤣

What really l can't think in is metres and centimetres. I can't stand that my drivers licence gives my height in cm. I'm five foot eleven. And I weigh things in pounds not kilograms UNLESS it's deli meat 🤣🤣
Sounds like you live in canada, as I do the same with metric and imperial. You have to be a certain age to know both. I just retired at 55. I would stick to the 308/300wm. However I just picked up a 6.5 to play with.

It's dependant on what "everything" means. If you're just talking big game, sure. Plenty of people do it with 1 gun. I'd probably go 30 cal, though you'll need something different for many midwestern states. If you're hunting everything from squirrel to moose from the midwest to Alaska, no. A 12ga will get you close, but you'll be giving up a lot of range on big game.

I think 4 would be my minimum. Something small like a 22lr for small game, a shotgun for birds and small game, something straight walled for the midwest, something well suited to longer shots on big game for the west.

There was a time I did everything with ONE rifle, One Caliber. 300WBY. Back then there was nothing faster in 300. Factory offered bullets from 110 grains to 180 grains. Worked great for me for a couple of decades. Then I got spoiled, but if I had to stick to one caliber, many chamberings, it would be 30 caliber. 30/30, 300 blackout al the way up to 30-378. Thank god, I dont have to, and I enjoy all the other calibers/chamberings.

Would these choices work for a couple hundred prairie dog shots per day?
Seems that recoil alone could be a factor.

With my choice of cartridges…..No! But, Prarie Dogs are near non existent in my area of Wyoming…..and I ain't paying to shoot Prairie Dogs! Heck, I ain't paying a Trespass Fee to hunt big game…..but that's just me!

I see a huge difference between hunting and playing! If I'm "hunt'n" Prairie Dogs, things are really bad…..must be Brandon's second term! 🙀🤬 memtb

I admit in trying to figure out one cal two chamberings I realized I have a problem and can't let go of that many😂
But for lower 48 i would probably have to go 264 and north of border 30 cal.
Strictly for Ak i would just stick with just my h&h

Yes I somehow ended up with a whitworth 375 that's had a great trigger job and cut to 18-19 inches in a browns stock.

As a handloader, especially if you cast your own bullets, you can make the .375 H&H extremely versatile…..from small game to elephant, even out to moderately long range! It just doesn't get more versatile than that! memtb