One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

375 H&H mag Winchester mod. 70 in syn..stock. because it works on Elephants and it can almost match the 3006 in trajectory. The kick isn't as sharp as a 300WM it a just a big push. You might have to sneak a little closer then with one of the 300's. But that's hunting. You won't have to worry about dangerous game. Just my 2¢

Model 70 extreme weather 30-06 in a mcmillan gamescout

Attachments

• 7718C58E-511F-4A29-A329-FFB771021099.jpeg
    7718C58E-511F-4A29-A329-FFB771021099.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
My answer is 7mm Rem. Mag., if you asked my native buddies from Western AK their vote would be the .223.
I agree with the 7 mag Excellent for a wide range of animals I'd want more for brown and polar bears But big bear cartridges would not be my first choice for almost everything else so best choice for 90 percent of game would be 7 mag for me

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

Rifle/Cartridge must meet this criteria: only one rifle allowed
#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#2 - rifle weight - under 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
🌟 additional 👍 points for combo's coming in at less than 9.0 pounds
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

I hope I haven't missed anything!
This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
My vote would be a 300 win mag with the tactical chamber on a Remington or clone so you can seat your bullets out, A 4 weight barrel of the length you choose on a good stock and a mid power good scope. Bullets? 200 nosler partition or the 200 federal edge tlr. Should come at 9 pounds or so

I know it's not very sexy, and I have many rifles. For over 100 years, the 30-06, has proven itself to be extremely competent in taking every size of game, on the North American Continent. There is more than an a smorgasbord of factory cartridge selections available. Whether it's Whitetail Deer, in Texas, or Alaskan Brown Bear, there is a factory grain cartridge usually available (150 grain, to 220 grain).

375 H&H or improved, 250 Barnes or 260 nolser. Winchester model 70 with a Nikon scope. I've carried my for 30 years in grizzly country hunting and guiding in Wyoming.

This is cheating but it falls into "one gun" category.
Christensen LA with WTO switch lug, proof research barrels in 338 Rum and 300 PRC. Iota Eko carbon stock. Leupold Vx-5hd 3-15 CDS. Will be sitting at (when stock arrives) 8.75 lbs.
338 Rum- 285 grain Barnes LRX @ 2795 FPS.
300 PRC - 200 grain LRX.
#1 choice is the 338 Rum Barrel.

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
7mm can do everything just change the bullets nice recoil and great long range capabilities

CZ550 375H&H Nikon scope 2-7 power

300 PRC, 225gr ELD-M for NON-DANGEROUS GAME, 212gr ELD-X for DANGEROUS GAME, Fully loaded to include bi-pod weighs in at SUB 9lbs. I don't use a sling, with today's packs having built in rifle holders (scarabs)...slings are obsolete!

Try hunting in 8' rhododendron and 2" marion berry all day wearing your pack!!!

Lol good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.