One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

I picked up a 340wby when I was 20,shot a lot of partitions,some barnes,now NAB's.Always did the job,last ten years packed 338NM,300 otm,Im sure it would flatten a grizz up close,if it was a big brown,id want mono. 340 Ive had 36 years

Just found some pics. Built by the late great Bob Hagel, 340 weatherby. Leupold VX-1 fixed 4 scope. Comes in right around 9 lbs

Attachments

• IMG_5738.JPG
    IMG_5738.JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5739.JPG
    IMG_5739.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5740.JPG
    IMG_5740.JPG
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_5741.JPG
    IMG_5741.JPG
    1,022.2 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5742.JPG
    IMG_5742.JPG
    863.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5743.JPG
    IMG_5743.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
I count myself fortunate I was able to spend some time with Hagel that's the reason I'm a 340 and 7 Mashburn Super fan. The 7 Mash would of been my first choice for this if there hadn't been rule #4 about needs to be able to run factory ammo...I'd just use the old 175 Nozler semi spitzer and get to it

My 338 win mag on the Remington action is my everything North America . Mostly run the 225 Hornady bullets but if I get the chance to go where big bears roam I'd jump to the 250 partitions . And yeah they shoot good from it done tried them just in case . As for the scope it's an older Simmons 44 I believe 4-12 power. Plenty good enough for what I do with it.

300 win mag
NF atacr 4-16x42
Proof carbon fiber sendero contour
Mcmillan game warden edge fill
200 gr. Eldx for long shots
180 partitions/190 LRX for anything 500 yards & under
Atlas bipod, 4 rounds, slung - 10 lbs 9 ounces ready to hunt!

Built this very rifle last year - hope to add its twin before fall.

After 15+ years of going round and round building countless customs I have gone full circle back to the 300 win mag. It just plain works!
This one right here^^^

22 rimfire... Ha...

I mentioned the 30/06 or 308 along with lots of cartridges similar to this or larger depending on your,,, terrain,,, purhaps weather and other factors...

I'm old school,,, so a standard mid size cartridge will/ has worked for me over the years...

Thats just me in my opinion only,,, others have their wants and needs...

Good luck finding what works for you,,, that's what really counts...

Cheers from the North

I count myself fortunate I was able to spend some time with Hagel that's the reason I'm a 340 and 7 Mashburn Super fan. The 7 Mash would of been my first choice for this if there hadn't been rule #4 about needs to be able to run factory ammo...I'd just use the old 175 Nozler semi spitzer and get to it
Didn't know Bob myself, was roommates in college with his grandson. Bought this rifle off a gentleman that reached out to the family when he was to old to hunt any more. They weren't interested because they had his actual personal guns but I jumped on it. Spent sometime behind a Ruger #1 7 mashburn that his grandson had, as well as quite a few others. The guy definitely built some exceptional rifles.

Mausingfield action, Timny trigger, H--S Precision stock & bottom metal. 375 RUM Shilin 26" barrel with muzzle brake. Leupold bases and rings. Trigicon scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.