Finally, It all came together this evening

royinidaho

Warning - A long read - Summary of summers activities to "break" into the longrange hunting thing.

After making a "good" deal on a REM 700 BDL 338 Win w/3X9 VXII Leupy to be used as a donor rifle for something "Special". But I had to shoot the thing to see if I was up to the task of shooting a "boomer". This is my first experience w/anything bigger than a 270 Win.

First I conquered the pain factor - added weight to get it to 10.5 lbs, lengthened the pull to normal length and adjusting the butt angle to something reasonable. Suare am happy that the original owner screwed it up so bad. Thus the "good deal".

Then replaced the decelerator w/a Limbsaver and reduced felt recoil even more.

Then seeing has how all of you long range dudes are shooting from bipods I had to reduce recoil even more so I could shoot prone. Installed a Holland QD brake.

Worked up a load that shoots really, I mean really well. Damnit, this was supposed to be a donor rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Less expensive scope with south before brake installation. Then slid forward big time after the brake.

Thanks to this forum I learned all about Burris Signature rings and mounting scopes more properly. Thanks guys!

Also learned about the Weaver Tactical Mil Dot Scope. Was fortunate to find one. SWFA had just taken one on trade.

Put all of that together Plus rebedded the action.

Got her sighted in w/250 SMKs but bought a box of SIerra Game Kings to work out the bugs. (Saving my WCs for when she is "final"). The Gameking and WC 252s shoot equally accurate.

Didn't know precisely where the gamekings were hitting with respect to the SMK but knew it would be real close.

Went to the range, and wouldn't cha know there were a couple of Buffalo gun fellas there already which put a kink in what I was going to do. Not to inconvienence them but to still get something done my spotter (son) and I setup down the way from them.

Layed down in the gravel between the benches with the bipod and rear bean bag. (Thanks to Ric Horst anyone that shoots off of a bench and pedestal rest is less than, well pretty low on the totem pole. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

Picked a rock on the 200 meter berm. Hit high, hit high, hit high. Compared to the SMK windage was spot on, elevation was a bit high. Did calculaction. Went down 16 clicks. Rock Gone!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Likin' the Weaver Tactical!

Went to the 400 Meter berm. Did calculation. Held right at what I figured was 0.8 mil over. Bang! Rock Gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shifted to the 500 Meter berm. Did some calcs. Held as close as I could judge to 1.8 Mil over. Band! Rock Gone!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I felt almost as good as when I woke up from the other day's colonoscopy. That's some good stuff they put you out with. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

There were some turkeys set up on the 400 Meter rail. They were pretty well shot up so its okay to blast them with the big guns. Picked a turkey held where I should and let her rip. Bullet punched through the turkey w/o knocking it over. However, the berm looked like someone sprayed it with naplam, if you can catch that vision. Way cool.

I figured that to knock them over I would have to hit them in the tail or the head/neck. I picked the neck, about 1/2 way up. Bang! Turkey Smack Down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Bang! Turkey Smack Down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Bang! Turkey Smack Down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After the sighters, I had zero misses. Pretty good for an old geezer. Will go back tomorrow and do the serious drop chart development.

Its with mixed emotions I post this. Major High as the rifle and I are coming along. Major low as it would be a major sin to screw that bbl of of that one, even if it is only a 338 Win. Anyone know how much it takes to shoot out a 338 Win bbl /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Guess I'll just have that old 721 I have laying around turned into a super hooty 22 Cal very long range coyote rifle. Its on to the next adventure. This is addictive.

Score for the Forum is 2 hooked and ready to go longrange hunters (well maybe to 800 yds or so). Son and I have never had so much fun together. Two weeks to opening day. Have 7 bucks all picked out. Ranges from 425 to 900. A couple more days at the range and we'll be ready to go.

Thanks guys. We owe ya!

Roy:

Sounds like you got all of the kinks ironed out and she's shooting pretty good.

Bang – rock gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Bang - turkey gone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Pretty soon it'll be bang – flop - deer down. Doesn't get any better than that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keep us posted. Your journey has been very interesting!!!

[ QUOTE ]
(Thanks to Ric Horst anyone that shoots off of a bench and pedestal rest is less than, well pretty low on the totem pole. )

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now!! I resemble that remark...! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy,

Now you are gonna get some of the "carry a bench to hunt from" guys all fired up and hatin' me...
My whole philosophy on the bench thing is.. use it to work up a load and then hit the dirt .. if it doesn't work in the dirt try somthing else. After all I won't see any benches I can use in the desert, or any in the mountains when I am hunting. Using a bi-pod is just very practical and very smart in my opinion. I see you have found the nack for it yourself!.
Here's a tip for you. If you have to shoot from a log or a rock or any other object when afield. Make sure your resting point or point of contact with this object is the same place your bi-pod attaches to your rifle. This should keep you barrel harmonics the same. Some times if you go further back or further forward it disrupts the harmonics.. especially if you go forward and under recoil the stock touches the barrel.. bad bad bad...

[ QUOTE ]
even if it is only a 338 Win

[/ QUOTE ]

I put this in another post this morning.. might have to make it my signature line..

Velocity and High B.C. are nice but accuracy kills...

Ric,

Ya know ya get hooked or maybe just used to what ya have always done. I started out w/222 & 40X and some Hart stuff 100 & 200 yd bench rest. Did that a bunch of years. Even outshot Ned Bench one day. He flew over to one of our local matches.

Never tho't it could be done from bipods. Well, Duh!

Life is much easier now, Have a 200yd range w/bench on my property and can go out to 440 no problem. Local range is build to 500 Meters with rougher provisions to 1000+.

Rife, bipod, bean bag and some targets and your ready to go.

BTW, it kind of amazed folks when you're shooting a 338 Win w/250s prone in a Tee shirt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Roy,
i'm fairly new to this also but if you need a little excitement, just take that brake off and shoot prone.might give ya something to talk about. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave,

Been there, done that and the tee shirt has a torn shoulder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.