One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

I am not writing this to offend anyone but am bound to point out that we have a few uninformed souls in this blog and instead of discussing facts we have been responding in pure hyperbole and rhetoric. I have been reading the responses to this query and find that everyone has a special interest in this. Why would a person choose to hunt large bear with a 26 cal. rifle when all the information acquired from ballistic data and personal testimony directly contradict using this caliber. On the other end of the scale a 340 WBY would leave very little for the pot if hunting small game. I would choose a 300 WBY with 180 factory ammo. Quality rifles built today are very accurate with a good scope or iron sights. I see no difference in customizing an already good and accurate rifle and buying a Corvette. There are very few places to show the extra power and handling that may or may not exist over a production product. Above this most cannot shoot or drive better than a standard built product provides so the added time, expense, and planning is no more than one-upmanship and bragging rights that stroke the ego but not better or more useful.

That's a pretty good analogy, I think. Some of us are lucky and have a 'track' in our backyards ;)

If a 30-06 isn't big enough to carry the day, I don't want to be in the field with it. Furthermore, I don't want to have to drag anything that big back to the truck! (With my luck, I'd tag a 5 ton Mastadon wa-aa-ay to heck-and-gone down in the bottom of a canyon full of blackberries, slide alder, and wet rhodies. In freezing rain. On the last day of the season. With a major storm coming in.)

Arkansasdad, Now I'm gonna pick on you a little! :) If someone truly believes that the 6.5/264 is a reliable big bear stopper, that's OK with me.....I just hope that they never have to prove the wisdom of their selection!

Now.....small game can be cleanly taken with the 340 Weatherby and greater, with head shots "only"! I've taken many rabbits and squirrels, when I lived in Louisiana, using a .308 Win. And have taken quite a few pine grouse and a few rabbits with my .375 AI. The requirement is the same as those that espouse the abilities of "little" cartridges on "big" game......it's all about placement. Though, if I mess up, we don't have grouse for supper.....if they mess up, they have a crippled animal! memtb

I went through this exercise last year. I bought a Christensen Arms BA Tactical in 6.5 PRC. Mounted a Leupold VX6HD 4-24x52 in nightforce UL rings and a tall Atlas CAL bipod. All in I am at 10.2lbs. I have plans to shoot the 156 berger for everything. I regularly hunt in grizzly country in Idaho and am planning on an Alaskan moose hunt in 2021 with this set up. Would I hunt a grizzly with it - you bet. Would it stop a charging grizzly? Maybe maybe not, but I came to the conclusion that nothing but a shot to the face is going to stop one with anything less than a .400 + caliber, so I am betting my life on a 156gr berger and am at peace with it :). Realistically I'll have a sidearm when I am in that country, but I know that wasn't part of the game:)
Looks like you are all alone in the 6.5 wonderland...I am also a 6.5 fan. I would probably go with a 6.5/284 or 6.5 PRC as well.

Arkansasdad, Now I'm gonna pick on you a little! :) If someone truly believes that the 6.5/264 is a reliable big bear stopper, that's OK with me.....I just hope that they never have to prove the wisdom of their selection!

Now.....small game can be cleanly taken with the 340 Weatherby and greater, with head shots "only"! I've taken many rabbits and squirrels, when I lived in Louisiana, using a .308 Win. And have taken quite a few pine grouse and a few rabbits with my .375 AI. The requirement is the same as those that espouse the abilities of "little" cartridges on "big" game......it's all about placement. Though, if I mess up, we don't have grouse for supper.....if they mess up, they have a crippled animal! memtb
6.5 will kill a big bear if you are bear hunting...if we are talking knocking the legs out from under a charging bear, guys are going to want to look for something bigger than their treasured 300's.

To me a do all needs to also be capable of 800+ yard precision shooting otherwise it's just not a do all, while I don't think a do all set up is out of reach it is a very, very narrow window!!

It's so nice to live in the United States of America where we have the right to form our own opinions on this type of subject and to be able to go out and purchase what we feel is the weapon to fill that slot . We are allowed to hunt bear with an air rifle if we so desire although not advised .

Here is the other influence that could come into play with the "do all" rifle: what is it doing the most?

I spend way more time and energy chasing coyotes and shooting varmints than I do big game hunting. I still go out and chase elk and deer and black bears every year, and am looking forward to an alaskan moose hunt. But for me, I will take a nice 6.5x284 or PRC because I am using it every week for coyotes and rock chucks and the couple weeks a year I get out after bigger critters I know it can still get the job done. If all I did was chase big bears, it would probably be a 338 Norma or 375 Ruger. We are all a product of our environments :)

Thats also probably the idaho redneck in me that grew up with grandpa and uncles killing everything from grizz to elk to moose with 270's...lol. It was never engrained in me that you need a cannon to kill stuff🤪

EEN THERE, DONE THAT...MAN CREATED MACHETES' FOR A REASON!!! Hunted ALASKA for BROWN BEARS & BLACK BEARS. When in the back country my 10MM is COCKED & READY on my hip. Nicknamed the SHERPA, pack weight is CAREFULLY and CAUTIOUSLY pieced together. Having been a hunting guide in SNOWMASS COLORADO, working between 10k' & 14k'....my experience has taught me how to operate EFFICIENTLY and EFFECTIVELY. People who are SURPRISED or UNPREPARED for the TERRAIN they are going to hunt shouldn't be hunting. Stay home and watch the hunting channel or live vicariously through YOUTUBE. 😎🤙
I am guessing your joking? If not, sorry "Sherpa", but back before your youtube a lot of people were surprised and unprepared when they hunted the desert, or the open plains, or at elevation for the first time. Then they gained experience and learned and adapted. It's maybe, probably, the best part of, and what draws most of us to hunting. As to the 10MM...😞. I always paid super close attention to my pack as well, then added a couple cans of 60 or saw ammo to it. Mind over matter brother Sherpa. Hope you don't get stuck with the tri-pod for the deuce.
My all around is a Weatherby Mark V Outfitter (Ultra Lightweight) in the 300 Wby. Leupold LPS 3-14x50. If we have to pick just one load it would be the 180 Barnes TSX or the 165 Scirocco, I love them both. I will flip a coin when you make me.

Remington 700 KS 8mm Remington Mag. 200 grain Nosler partition or 220 grain Sierra BT. Zeiss V-6 3x18. This all should put me in the parameters set and give me my magic 3000 FPS and 4000 lbs of energy.Thanks to member Josh I'm going to work this rifle up to see if it performs to plan. It's waiting to be picked up at the gun shop, a victim of Covid-19.
I was gonna say 8mm rem mag! I bought a Rem BdL two years ago. Made in 1979. Beautiful gun. Vx3 4x14x40. Shoots sub moa when i do my part. 3050fps with 200gr barnes tsx and 3450fps with 160ttsx. I reload but this go round i called Hendershots, it loved the rounds and i didnt have to touch a press. The 8mm Rem Mag should get more credit! Congrats on the purchase.

I was gonna say 8mm rem mag! I bought a Rem BdL two years ago. Made in 1979. Beautiful gun. Vx3 4x14x40. Shoots sub moa when i do my part. 3050fps with 200gr barnes tsx and 3450fps with 160ttsx. I reload but this go round i called Hendershots, it loved the rounds and i didnt have to touch a press. The 8mm Rem Mag should get more credit! Congrats on the purchase.

Hendershots does a great job on their custom loads. Used them on a elk hunt with my .340 Wby Mag a while back. Had them send me a custom 250gr Nosler Partition load that brought back the goods x2 on that hunt.

300 Win Mag : Easy access to a variety of ammo Brands and Bullet weights !! I would check and see if Weatherby still offers the "Unltralight Rifle "( 5 3/4 pounds in a standard Caliber with 24 inch barrel ) 6 pounds in Magnum I think ; or some newer version of Light Rifle in that caliber. Kimber also makes a super light weight Rifle as well. Good quality rifles both. I would consider the Leupold Vari X 5 in some power range from around 3 X to 15 X with a 40 mm objective lens so you can keep the scope mounted low. OR... a Leupold Vari X 3 in 2.5X to 8 X with a 40mm Objective( Whitetail at 150 yards with a 150 grn bullet )) and also the Leupold vari X 3 in 4.5 to 14 X with a 30mm tube and 40mm Objective lens. ( Elk at 350 yards with some 180 Grn or 200 grn super tough bullet ) Change the scope to match the game and the terrain. 6 pound Rifle, 12 to 15 oz. scope, 8 ounces of Rings and bases. 3 rounds of ammo. Should come to 8 pounds. Want to save 6 extra ounces, take off you Wrist Watch !!! Good luck Buddy, Lenny

To me a do all needs to also be capable of 800+ yard precision shooting otherwise it's just not a do all, while I don't think a do all set up is out of reach it is a very, very narrow window!!

Under ideal conditions, I'm good to 800....both in accuracy (unless prairie dogs are on the menu), velocity (expansion, and energy (well above the accepted minimum). Though, I much prefer to stay under 600 yards. Hell..... I much prefer under 100 yards! ;) memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts