One “Do it All Cartridge” - All of NA

In factory ammo and factory rifle form ?

#1 300 Remington Ultra Magnum in a Remington 700 LSS and 4-16 X Bushnell Elite 4200 riflescope

#2 Ibanez Jem 7 Steve Vai signature guitar

from coyotes to killer whales it is the do-all cartridge with plenty of factory ammo choices for all game nationwide in any hunting scenario

View attachment 183781

If you can't kill'm with the rifle....you can blind them with the 🎸 ! :D memtb

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

Rifle/Cartridge must meet this criteria: only one rifle allowed
#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#2 - rifle weight - under 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
🌟 additional 👍 points for combo's coming in at less than 9.0 pounds
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

I hope I haven't missed anything!
This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb

A subject that has been "beaten to death..... with many side-stepping the thread intent. Some choosing custom or full "wildcat" chamberings, some picking rifle/cartridge combo's with impractical weight for everyday, various terrain use by "normal" humans, factory ammunition must be available, potentially needed as a stopping cartridge. So, here's the criteria for the challenge.

#1 - used for all North American Big Game (including dangerous game - assuming no back-up)
#3 - If a bipod is used - total rifle weight cannot exceed 11.0 pounds (scoped, fully loaded, slung, and bipod)
#4 - factory cartridge - (improved chambering allowed) must be able to fire a factory cartridge
#5 - various terrain - thick timber/brush to hunting elk, sheep or goats in the mountains, to wide open western plains
#6 - cartridge....bullet weight, bullet (cup-core, partition, mono) design (based upon a potential mixed bag hunt in "big" bear country - no back-up) and brief explanation for your choice

This should give you something to think about while sequestered at home! So.....what's your "poison"? memtb
30-06, 165 grain speer grand slam, killed about everything in lower 48 except griz. Always stalked closer no long range shots. Except for deer, everything headshot.

Kimber 8400 action, tuned & trued, custom bolt handle of my design, trigger at 2 lbs.
Proof Sendero or Bartlein heavy sporter at 23"
338 Win Mag throated long
Manners EH1 or McMillan Game Warden, lightest fill possible
Kimber blind mag, 4 rounds, 3.600"
ARC M10 rings
TT 315M or ZCO 420 OR Razor Gen III 1-10 if I'm counting ounces
Barnes LRX 250 flying as fast as possible

Hmm, Why not the tried & true 338 Win Mag? Ammo & components are usually widely available. It seems a pretty good go-to caliber on the BIG BEAR, Alaska mainland. I'm of the inclination that the northern tiers folk have a fair handle on what works where out there. If one just has to shoot way far out there, or has a compulsion to not take game less than a half-mile away, preferably more, I'm just not there. The question was about an 'all around best' rifle & caliber wit' wt limits, weren't it not? Eh, wot?

For an off-the-rack rifle, since I have had VERY GOOD LUCK with & have had really good accuracy with ALL of my HB units, it's likely I'd look at another heavy barrel 110 Savage. So far, plain black dresses are ok with me. I have a vintage Leupold (not LEOpold, thank you) 5 or 6 X 20 x 50 (or 56) on one & I'd replace that with a 30mm similar power more modern, lighter weight scope with a lighted reticle & easier to adjust type windage & elevation turrets, preferably low profile. For rings, the Leupold (not ......) aluminums have proven to be of good service. Nothing wrong with the set of Badger rings in my stash, just saving a little weight & maybe a bit of overkill with keeping the weight under 'the ideal'. To brake or not to brake?. Never had much need on the 338 or 300 Win Mags. Just used shelf ammo from Win, Rem & etc, nothing exotic. I never had a chance to really stretch out the 338 WInMag; maybe 200 yards once. Borrowed tool, went to a new home. Good unit, just didn't have 'the need'. Thanks for the inspiration.

One great workhorse still remains the venerable 30-06. For generations they've
been proven, even out on 'the islands' where the BIG bears dwell.

Didn't read all 16 pages of the thread, but if you are entering bear country without a revolver or Glock 10mm strapped to your chest, you are just begging to be a bear snicker's bar...…..

Just built my do everything rifle - 7mm Sherman Max....meets all but #4 above, but i reload so #4 means nothing to me and most. 9lbs w/ Nightforce NX8 4-32x. Carbon Fiber barrel and stock, built by HCA. 180 gr. pills at 3050, and 195 EOLs at 2950.

Been carrying a glock 20 almost 30 years for a reason!

IT WORKS ON "SOCIAL PROBLEMS" 2 LEGS OR 4!

135 HP AT 1600+FPS IN TOWN

220 WFN COATED AT 1000FPS IN THE WOODS...

BROTHER HAS 4 ELK AND 16 DEER WITH 10MM

ITS A KILLER!

IF YOU DONT CARRY A 10MM A 5" REDHAWK OR BLACKHAWK WITH 240 OR 300 GRN HARDCAST IS A SOLUTION AS WELL

I am here to learn not to give it advice. I was curious, why would you choose 375 H and H over 375 Ruger?
-Johnny

Johnny, I don't know if your question was addressed or not. Ballistically very similar! At present time the H&H may be more readily accessible.....but, the Ruger is gaining fast! I haven't researched what manufacturers produce ammunition for the Ruger, as I've "not" fired a factory round in a rifle in many years. The H&H cartridge is loaded by many ammunition manufacturers, potentially giving you a greater range of bullets to choose from. memtb

1. I need to get a 10mm, been putting it off forever

that said...

How come a .40" bullet going 1k to 1400 is considered enough for bear but a copper 7mm that expands to that much going double that speed is considered marginal at best?
Koolaid brother - its the koolaid. I came to that realization a few years ago when I stopped shooting my magnums at elk. I asked myself if I stuck a 9mm up to an elks vitals and pulled the trigger would it die? Yes. Kind of puts things into perspective. Thats why I roll with the 6.5 prc now and it has killed everything it points at.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.