Once Fired Brass

texas

Has anyone had experience with high pressure brass that has been fired? High Tech has a good deal on some but, before buying it wanted imput. Thoughts or knowledge would be helpfull.

If it is for a belted magnum and your chamber is minumum spec. you might have a hard time sizing it down enough to fit your chamber. I bought some once fired Norma brass for my 300 Win Mag and even with the sizer all the way down to the shellholder plus alittle more camming over it still chambers hard. It is about .001 larger above the belt than fired new brass which chambers easily. For a factory rifle it might not be a problem. This has been my only experience with once fired brass. Hope this helps some.
Wayne

Depends on the chamber and type of firearm the brass was shot in.

I am guessing that you are looking at 308 or 223 surplus brass? Find out if this is factory range brass or military brass.

If fired from a machine gun, there may be alot of case stretching which will lead to very short case life. If fired from test barrels or bolt actions, then usually not that big a deal. You may need to get a small base die if your chamber is small.

More details are important.

I would suggest that you look at pulldown brass. This is brass that was disassembled, not fired. These are usually in excellent condition and just need the crimps removed.

If trying for max accuracy, I would lean towards commercial brass. I use LC69 brass in my 30-06 and it works great but would not use it for match applications. For LR hunting/varminting/plinking, no problem. Capable of under 1/3moa accuracy.

Good luck...

Jerry

Texas, I would look for pulldown brass. Try Weideners, Bartlett reloading, Pats reloading, and other surplus powder/component supplier.

I bought my brass from Weideners. It was LC69 and I couldn't be happier. You will need to do some work prepping the primer pockets, and necks but it is very tough and accurate. I do not sort the brass and it can shoot sub 1/3 MOA at LR.

For the slight increase in price (costs about 10cents each delvd.), why deal with once fired brass of unknown history. I believe that Bartlett reloading will even do some prep work for a few pennies more per piece.

This is what I use in my hunting rifle and 30 Gibbs.

Good stuff...

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.